Author Topic: Crookstowns Church of 1720-1860s?  (Read 2188 times)

Offline Cassandra Hall

• RootsChat Extra
  • I am currently studying Human Osteology and Paleaopathology, which is a challenging degree that teaches critical thinking and analytical skills. I have a reliable and innovative attitude towards work, I am both creative and pro-active with a flair for ch
    • View Profile
Crookstowns Church of 1720-1860s?
« on: Saturday 14 May 16 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm currently looking for information on the original church which is now situated underneath the new school across from SS Mary and Laurence Church. There was archaeological findings of a grave yard and the original foundations of the church, however searching the records for its name is harder than thought. We are using the name Moyleabby at the time being, however there are records of another site with that name, that is causing confusion.

If anyone has any maps which show 18th/19th/20th Century Crookstown, or any information on the church itself, i would be most grateful.

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Crookstowns Church of 1720-1860s?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 May 16 13:30 BST (UK) »
have you checked the OSI maps ?
the chapel is shown on the old map http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hmq/

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 May 16 13:34 BST (UK) »
The civil parish is Narraghmore, which is included on Lewis - the parish and the chapel are mentioned http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hmr/

Offline Cassandra Hall

• RootsChat Extra
  • I am currently studying Human Osteology and Paleaopathology, which is a challenging degree that teaches critical thinking and analytical skills. I have a reliable and innovative attitude towards work, I am both creative and pro-active with a flair for ch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 May 16 13:37 BST (UK) »
I have searched through photos and trawled (clearly the wrong) archives for hours today. This has to be the best thing i could need right now.

I'm sorry for the informality but, I could hug you for this! I cannot thank you enough!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 May 16 16:54 BST (UK) »
I see it's marked on the 6" map as RC Church this map dates are 1829 -41
but on the 25" the new church is built and it's marked as a hall this map dates are 1897-1913

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 May 16 17:32 BST (UK) »