Author Topic: Price family of Cadoxton Barry Glamorgan  (Read 13154 times)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Price family of Cadoxton Barry Glamorgan
« Reply #18 on: Monday 20 August 18 11:19 BST (UK) »
I also recently discovered that her father Nicholas slender passsed away in 1871 and is buried at st Mary’s Church cardigan Cardiganshire wales uk they were romanichal any info you can give me would be appreciated we’re the slenders a part of the price family ?

Nicholas Slender who died in 1871 is listed as being born in 1833

So the Emily Slender born about 1839/40 married to Caradoc Price would have maybe been his sister?

So there must have been two Emily Slenders as well!

1870 Emily Slender living the gipsy life at Risca, Wales. (Welsh Newspapers)
She says she is a single woman in camp but has a man. This might just mean her husband was away at the time.

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 20 August 18 23:29 BST (UK) »
Ah so Emily Slender would be my granddads first wife, do you know if she had any children with my Granddad Caradoc (Creddy) as he was known. He married a Catherine Rafferty a traveller from Ireland who was my nana. If you check out a FB page called Friends with romany gypsies you might get more info.:)

Emily Slender I think was your gr.grandad Caradoc Price's wife not the Caradoc married to Catherine Rafferty?

Possible but unproven Children  of Caradoc Price Snr and Emily Slender:

1/Josiah Price baptised in 1884 in Wenvoe, Glamorgan, Father Caradoc Mother Emily Occupation Gypsy

2/Dorcas Price (female) baptised in 1877 in St. Georges, Glamorgan (batised other places as well) Father Caradog  Mother Emily Occupation Gypsy

3/Mary Price baptised in 1886 in Porthkerry, Glamorgan Father Caradoc Mother Emily Occupation Basket maker, no fixed abode.

None of these baptisms from Family search match the IGI very well, so their ages could well be out. Very Interesting that they baptised Dorcas Price more than once too! Porthkerry is near Barry? There is also a 1877 Darkie Price baptism in Llanblethian (near cowbridge) to Caradoc and Emily Price, think this was Dorcas again. Dorcas in 1877 again at Michaelston-Y-Fedw (near Risca?)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)

Offline ShellyE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 16:27 BST (UK) »
from family folklaw Emily Price nee Slender had at least 2 sons Wisdom & Righteous which fits the Righteous you know about but he'd have to be born before 1880 lets say to be Emily's & Caradoc's. What do you think?

Offline cwtch

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Truth Sets Us Free
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am posting some of these names with other relatives and roma to see if they can put them together? It's not an easy thing to do. I do have a tree on Ancestry under Price, still trying to add to it. Thats how I found my grandddad was married twice.But no info if he had children, I assume he did with his 1st wife.
Came from Cadoxton S. Wales. Moved to England in 1966.
Moved to Florida in 1970
Moved and settled in Toronto in 1971
I have been married for over 40 years and we have 2 wonderful boys and one granddaughter
Surnames....Price, Evon, Shatten, Lee, Riley, Burton, Ayres, Smith, Loveridge, Rafferty,

Offline cwtch

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Truth Sets Us Free
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
from family folklaw Emily Price nee Slender had at least 2 sons Wisdom & Righteous which fits the Righteous you know about but he'd have to be born before 1880 lets say to be Emily's & Caradoc's. What do you think?
Came from Cadoxton S. Wales. Moved to England in 1966.
Moved to Florida in 1970
Moved and settled in Toronto in 1971
I have been married for over 40 years and we have 2 wonderful boys and one granddaughter
Surnames....Price, Evon, Shatten, Lee, Riley, Burton, Ayres, Smith, Loveridge, Rafferty,

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 08:43 BST (UK) »

I think that we should have a hunt for some type of Baptisms, the problem is getting the mothers name as Emily Slender.  This family reuses names so maybe? So far I haven't found a Wisdom Price or Righteous Price baptism with Slender as the mother in family search or the GRO.

Here is a Righteous Price born 1906 to a mother maiden named Price.
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 11:53 BST (UK) »
With Family groups sticking togeather I cam across a Sophia Slender wife of William Slender (born 1838, not known where) defending a Righteous Slender (married aged 18 years, to who?  Wife also 18 years old?) born in 1880 from arrest in 1898.

I think William Slender (born 1838) could be the brother of Emily and Nicholas Slender (age wise)

Looking at Sophia Slender's children in the GRO she was maiden named Butler

Children of Sophia Butler and William Slender:

Corolenia Slender registered 1883 Westbury on Severn born Forest Dean, Gloucestershire
Lily Slender   registered 1891 Westbury on Severn born Forest Dean, Gloucestershire
William Slender   (Billy) registered 1876 in Chepstow born Not Known, Monmouthshire
Tom Slender   registered 1886 born in Billericay, Essex
Trayton Slender   registered 1888 at Blything born in Yoxford, Suffolk
Roger Slender   (Righteous Slender??) registered 1880, Wantage, Berkshire.

"FUNERAL OF AGED GIPSY
cortege approached, and other tributes of respect were shown en route. The principal mourners were: Messrs. William and Trayton Slender (sons). Mrs. Minnie Williams, Miss Nora Slender. Mrs. Carolina Brown. Miss Sinfy (Sophia?) Slender, and Mrs. Lily Barham (daughters)" May 1934 Norfolk <-----One of the parents passing. The death certificate may or may not show William or Sophia Slenders parents.

If one of you joins https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ you get three free pages and could read the whole article.

Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 12:28 BST (UK) »
Traiton Slender dies in 1872 aged just 19 in Haverford West Parish in Pembrokeshire.

This is where I think Cradoc Price and Emily Slender's son Josiah Price might have been registered as born in 1884 in the GRO Haverford West Pembrokeshire, although the record has the maiden name space blank.
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 12:47 BST (UK) »
hmm!

Caradoe Price born 1845 Maesteg, Glamorgan
Emily Price born 1846 London, Kent
Hope Price born 1890 in Narbeth, Pembrokeshire.

So Emily Slenders birth county was Kent?

Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)