Author Topic: ANDERSON, William Henry Esq died 1819 Cheshunt, Hertfordshire  (Read 9273 times)

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Re: ANDERSON, William Henry Esq died 1819 Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 13:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Rena ... more to add to the db, and more info about the Anderson brokers.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline JillAnd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 10 June 16 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Sugarbaker
I was just wanting to find out if William and William Henry were Sugar Brokers or Coffee Brokers or may be both. Entries in the London Gazette record  many entries much the same as the following.  "100 Casks and 300 Bags Plantation coffee samples to be seen No6 Mincing lane, where catalogues may be had. WM Anderson. Broker..." 18 June 1818.
The Andersons must have continued as brokers after the dissolution of the partnership with Duncan Davidson Milligan as his name was no longer used in the advertisements. I have found information stating that the Mincing lane area was known as a centre of tea,spices and opium however coffee was not mentioned.
Just curious.   Can you shed any light on this?
Thanks JillAnd

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 10 June 16 16:03 BST (UK) »
JillAnd

Mincing Lane and the adjoining streets were awash with brokers of all sorts. Commodities varied between companies and within companies, and it's likely that over time Anderson's did not restrict themselves solely to sugar ... they were, after all, trying to make money.
Sugar brokers were the middle-men between the shipowners/importers and the refiners, taking a small commission from both in order to make a living. I found in the Gloucester Archives a ledger originally used by a London sugar broker for just a few years in the early 1770s that shows such transactions in detail,  www.mawer.clara.net/loc-glouc.html  , in which the commission varied between 2% and 6%.

William Anderson sugar brokers appears to have existed through to at least 1865.

I have a page on Sugar Brokers at  www.mawer.clara.net/loc-brokers.html  that shows the importance of Mincing Lane, being at the centre of the brokers/coopers district between the refineries of the City and those of the East End.

Bryan
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

Offline JillAnd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 June 16 08:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you again Sugarbaker for all your help. It was interesting reading all about the Broker area in Swining Street and the surrounding district and to learn about that aspect of the English economy in the 1800’s. I was wondering if you knew or had a record of who took over the Anderson Brokerage Business after 1825 when William Anderson (Senior) died. William Henry (nephew) had already died in 1819 just after the partnership with Duncan Davidson Milligan was dissolved. You noted that the Anderson Sugar Brokers was still in existence through to at least 1865. William b1761 did have both a son, William Archibald b 1801 and may be (I can’t remember where I found this snippet) a son-in-law William Anderson  ( his daughter Ann’s husband). If the brokerage continued to be run by a William Anderson it would more than likely have to have been one of these gentlemen.

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 13 June 16 01:53 BST (UK) »
Hello again whirlybird
Not being well at the moment I have been watching the posts between you and JillAnd (& also of course talking to her), and have been leaving the questions/answers to the 2 of you......

In your recent information you say you have still not mastered how to send files using rootschat....

I'm wondering if JillAnd passed on how to contact her by PM (Personal Message)....?

Then again you mention sending via email, so if you are in touch that way then that would be the best option.

To send a PM you click on the small icon in the left hand column below your username - see image file attached.....

That way you are able to share information privately.

Between us we have travelled a long way along the ANDERSON road, thanks to the input of lots of rootschatters  :)

Barb in Australia
Researching:
BEST, BRAME, KNIGHT, LEWIS, McSHEEHY, O'NEIL, SCHUETZE & WILKE

http://www.kirchneryoungtreeoflife.bndon.com
Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 13 June 16 16:19 BST (UK) »
We know from directory references that the brokerage continued <i>under the name of</i> William Anderson until at least 1865, but as yet I've not found reference to who the partners were over those 40yrs following William's death.
I would have expected such info to be in the London Gazette, but there (changed) search facility is not allowing a detailed enough search. I'll keep looking.

Offline JillAnd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 03:24 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your help and now I have some newly acquired info for your records. This information has  just been passed onto me from a relation of Robert Milligan Anderson.

"Re the Anderson Directors after William of Highwoods death in 1825. There was a Gillespie and Reuben Glasgow Kestin among others.
The  sons, Henry, Duncan, Hugh and Robert were all educated at Harrow then went into their fathers firm; Henry only for a short while.Duncan, Hugh and Robert all became Directors. Duncan died of TB while fairly young, as did his own two sons in their early twenties. London was a very unhealthy place to live in the mid 1800's and sugar dust could cause all sorts of lung ailments too.
Hugh died 1884 .
Robert carried on till 1870 by which time one of Roberts sons had taken over.
The firm carried on till sometime around the turn of the century, but by then sugar was not such a money spinner. Something called "Foreign Bounties" and the collapse in value of sugar plantations - most of which had become worthless - made continuation in the industry pointless."
All very interesting. That's another part of the family history solved. Much more to find out.
Thanks Jillian

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 08:55 BST (UK) »
Excellent ... thank you Jillian.

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 21:06 BST (UK) »
Partnership between Edward Anderson, Duncan Mackenzie and Reuben Glasgow Kestin, Colonial Brokers at 10 Mincing Lane, under the style of Wm. Anderson & Co was dissolved so far as Reuben Glasgow Kestin was concerned from 31 Dec 1894. Business of Wm. Anderson & Co to be continued by Edward Anderson and Duncan Mackenzie.
(summary of Notice in London Gazette, 29 Jan 1895)