Author Topic: Sarum Marriage Licence Bonds Transcription/Marriage - nothing before ....  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Welsh Girl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hi Everyone ... I wonder if some could assist me with this please? 

I have found the Sarum entry on 5 Sept 1831 and the Marriage entry 12 September 1831 for Sarah Wheeler and John Smith (I can hear you groaning) ... but I am unable to trace Sarah's family.

Unfortunately, she died in 1858 so I only have the 1841 and 1851 census to go on for her YOB and POB.

On the 1841 census, she is shown as being born in Corsham circa 1811.  On the 1851 she is shown as being born 1803 in Devizes.

On another site, someone suggested she could have been born in Southbroom, and there is an entry there .. there is also an entry in Southbroom for a Cicely Wheeler, and this is the name she also gave to one of her children (not too common so I thought a good indication of carrying names on) ... but this Cicely seems to be living in Somerset in 1841 - but it doesn't rule out not being Sarah's Sister).

i wonder if anyone has access to the Marriage entries that may show her Fathers name please ?  It would be a start to help me narrow down the possibilities for her ....

Many Thanks for any help, or suggestions.
Homer, Smith : Kington, & Tirphil
Davies : Carmarthen & Tirphil
Greenway : Cornwall, Bristol & South Wales
Nicklen : Exeter
Squire & Stone : Cadleigh & Exeter
Vigers : Exmouth
Smith : Corsham
Webber, Salter : Morchard Bishop
Evans, Balsom, Farrent, Salter, Shallis, Snell : Otterton & Heavitree
Thompson, Smith, Leek : Brynmawr & Monmouth
Davies :  Merthyr & Neath
Ridd : George Nympton
Dando : everywhere
O'Mara : Ireland & Wales
Manfield : Bristol & Cardiff
Pollexfin : Devon (var)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Sarum Marriage Licence Bonds Transcription/Marriage - nothing before ....
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 May 16 11:54 BST (UK) »
The marriage was in Corsham by Licence.

1841 census confirms born in County (Wiltshire) not the parish of Corsham  ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Sarum Marriage Licence Bonds Transcription/Marriage - nothing before ....
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 May 16 14:41 BST (UK) »
1831 marriage won't show a father's name, this only started in July 1837.

You might find a relative possibly mentioned on the marriage bond.

As Southbroom is next to Devizes its quite possible that is her if there is no other sign (marriage or burial) for that child.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day