Author Topic: Hamilton's of Kingston  (Read 950 times)

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hamilton's of Kingston
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 May 16 13:59 BST (UK) »
Yes. If Gorge Hamiltons will states that his wife's first husband (George Bellamy) may return and interfere then George H and Sarah were most likely living in a defacto marriage.
Jo   :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
Re: Hamilton's of Kingston
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 May 16 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you for your replies.

George's first wife was Ann, and their first son was George Gordon who married Sarah Eaton.  George, Elizabeth, Charles, Mary and Sarah were his children by his first wife Ann.  I believe Hester and Eliza 'may' be his children by second wife, but the Will does refer to her as Sarah (so I'm wondering whether she was known by Hester or vice versa).

William, Edward, Mary and John Novell were George Gordon and Sarah's children and George's Grandchildren.  I did originally wonder whether this Sarah (Eaton) was his second wife but then realised she was in fact his daughter in law.

I think it is likely that George and Sarah (or Hester) were never officially married and were living in a de facto marriage.

I have found several variations of the Hamilton name - Hambleton, Hammerton, Hamelton/ten/tan but none have yet given me George's children from his second marriage.  What is so frustrating is that the will gives the full names of his children from his first marriage, but only refers to the others as 'my children by my wife Sarah'.

Thank you for taking the time to help.

Anne-Marie
Hamilton, Kingston, Surrey
Dorbon, St Pancras
Paterson, Middlesex & Fife
Underhay, Clerkenwell & Devon
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent