Author Topic: Stephen Eastwood of Burwash/ Etchingham  (Read 5094 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen Eastwood of Burwash/ Etchingham
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 May 16 16:57 BST (UK) »
According to the Sussex Marriage Index they married in Heathfield on 20 July 1803.

John Rhumary was a bachelor and Philadelphia Kemp was spinster, daughter of William and Mary and both were of this parish. 

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Carbar

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 May 16 19:05 BST (UK) »
Ruth Rummary married Henry Eastwood on17 Dec 1821 in Burwash. Would the marriage records record who her father was?

Thanks
Carole

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 May 16 08:32 BST (UK) »
There are no further details on the Sussex Marriage Index but it might be worth looking at the original record to see if there are witnesses named.   Fathers' names did not have to appear until after civil registration in 1837.  That couple did have a lot of children so it might be worth looking at naming patterns as one of the boys may have been named after her father.   I can't see suitable baptism for her on the SFHG site but the spelling variants do confuse the search.

Offline Carbar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 04 June 16 16:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you. Think I will have to go to The Keep to see if there are any other records that may possibly  link to her or her siblings/parents, she is a bit of a mystery,

Offline Carbar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 05 June 16 13:14 BST (UK) »
Have found a few possibilities for Ruth's parentage.
John Rummary & Philiadelphia Kemp married in 1803 so she could have been their first child - being born in 1804, their next child is baptized 2 yrs later in 1806 although it seems strange they baptized 2 other children before her - Elizabeth in 1806 & Reuben in 1809, Their next child baptized was David on 28 Apr 1811 - so I think this family is unlikely to be Ruth's.

Another alternative is that she was a child born late in a marriage. I have located a Richard Rummery & Ann Prior who had Abigal baptized 20 apr 1783, & Benedicta, Zilpah & Henry all baptized 25 Feb 1793.

There is also a John Rummery & Sarah, they had at least 7 children, all baptised between 1781 & 1800, Ruth Rummary & Henry Eastwood had sons called George, Henry, James & John - all very common names.

so...still no further forward with this one.......

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 05 June 16 16:11 BST (UK) »
Returning to George Eastwood baptised 01 Feb 1762, I have him as a son of William and Ann nee Monk(e) who married 10 June 1739 at St Bartholomew, Burwash.

Does this tie in with your understanding of George's parentage?

I am descended from William's and Ann's daughter Ann baptised 02 June 1742 at Burwash, William is my greatx5 grandfather.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 06 June 16 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Artifis

William and Ann Monke are the same parents, as I have for George.

I have Ann as marrying Thomas Ford on 17 January 1769 in Burwash.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 06 June 16 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry, yes I have that date as well.

A distant cousin descended from the Pilbeam link to William and Ann did a lot of actual records checking at The Keep and we collaborated on taking the Eastwood line and Monk(e) line back as far as we could.  Unfortunately I believe that he has now passed away as I can no longer contact him on either of the two email addresses I had for him.

We think William's parents were James (John) Issed baptised 07 Mar 1668 at Mayfield who married Ann Piper on 26 Oct 1704 at Mayfield but there is uncertainty in this link.  Does that tie in with any information you have?

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Artifis

If you read http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=259641.msg5652744#msg5652744 a post from a few years back you will see that is where mine and some other's research was going.

I haven't added the details of James (John) to the tree yet because I don't think we can confirm it, presumably because I was going to go to the Keep and check out the records, something I am yet to do.  Life keeps getting in the way!

Kerry