Author Topic: Stephen Eastwood of Burwash/ Etchingham  (Read 5048 times)

Offline Carbar

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen Eastwood of Burwash/ Etchingham
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 12 June 16 14:42 BST (UK) »
In my tree, I have George Eastwood 1762-1824, Burwash married to Elizabeth Tindall 1759, Dallington - 1839, Burwash. (great grandparents x 5)
I have William Eastwood 1716, Burwash married to Ann Monk c1719 - 1799, Burwash as his parents.
I have John (James) Eastwood, 1668 - 1754, Mayfield, married to Ann Piper, 1676 - 1742, Mayfield as Williams parents.
I haven't got any further back with the Eastwoods yet but have traced Ann's ancestors back a few more generations.

Offline griffo99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 06 June 22 03:48 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, I admit right now that I got my information from ancestry.com, not the most reliable, but I have William Eastwood, born 1716, Ann Monk, 1719 - 1779, they're my 5th great grandparents, then I have John Eastwood, 1679 - 1743, Mayfield, Sussex, married to Ann Piper, 1676 - 1742. After reading all the information here, I think I have a few dates wrong. Forgive me, I'm a beginner!

Offline Carbar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 26 June 22 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hi griffo99
William Eastwood & Ann Monk are my 6x Great Grandparents. I do have a tree on ancestry but if you want to contact me on ancestry i am happy share it with you. It is very easy to get ames, dates & places wrong - huge families with lots having the same ame & similar dates of birth

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 25 September 23 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hello.
Would anyone know why William Eastwood bapt March 20th 1714 Mayfield,son of John and Ann,is shown as William Nevell Eastwood on most Ancestry Community Trees.The reason i ask,i have a large number of DNA matches going back to these Sussex Eastwoods,they are somehow connected to my East Sussex family,probably through one of two illigitimate lines.There are several other shared matches who go back to a family named Neville,and variants.Im just wondering where the Nevell in William Nevell Eastwood comes from.

Nel.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 10:39 BST (UK) »
Have you tried asking the tree owners?

I've had a brief look at two trees that give William's name as William Nevell Eastwood and there seem to be some errors or confusion: buried in Yorkshire in 1787 but also died in Burwash in Sussex in 1788. ?? That doesn't add up.  Do you have any evidence to show that William spent time in Yorkshire?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 17:14 BST (UK) »
Sussex Family History Group have William's baptism transcribed as in Mayfield 20 March 1714/15 just as William. Similarly in the transcriptions for his marriage and burial.

That kind of suggests that either the trees showing Neville are mistake or somewhere along the line the name was imported into William's name.

Ancestry shows two William Eastwood's marrying in Yorkshire in about the same period as the Burwash marriage 10 June 1739.

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 17:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.

The community tree  feature on Ancestry is really just a suggestion they give having refered to the research of other members,so im not sure you can view any trees.Its just that ive noticed him refered to as William Nevell Eastwood quite a lot in the course of my research.I think his mothers maiden name was Piper.
I think the Sussex/Yorkshire confusion just comes from mistakes made by people unfamiliar with the geography of this country,as there are big Eastwood families in both counties.The ones im intrested in are the Sussex ones.
I have quite a large number of matches going back to these Eastwoods,especially to people descended from Benjamin Eastwood and Jane Brazil.Then theres a number of matches who match these matches,who go back to chalk diggers named Parris and Nevill,who lived around Halling and Snodland in Kent.Thats why im intrigued about his middle name given as Nevell.

Nel.

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 02 October 23 07:25 BST (UK) »
Hello.
Would anyone know why William Eastwood bapt March 20th 1714 Mayfield,son of John and Ann,is shown as William Nevell Eastwood on most Ancestry Community Trees.The reason i ask,i have a large number of DNA matches going back to these Sussex Eastwoods,they are somehow connected to my East Sussex family,probably through one of two illigitimate lines.There are several other shared matches who go back to a family named Neville,and variants.Im just wondering where the Nevell in William Nevell Eastwood comes from.

Nel.
Hi Nel,
William Eastwood would be my 6x Great Grandfather. I have my tree up on Ancestry and cannot see any reference to Nevell in it. Be interesting to see if you have a DNA match with me. My Ancestry user name is swebby1.

Regards
Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline Carbar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 06 October 23 21:09 BST (UK) »
I placed the original query a few years ago & my research has mpved on since then but i have not located anything to suggest that William Eastwood had a middle name of Nevell. I have looked at trees on ancestry where he is given that name but cannot find any evidence for this.