Author Topic: Stephen Eastwood of Burwash/ Etchingham  (Read 5095 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen Eastwood of Burwash/ Etchingham
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 May 16 16:20 BST (UK) »
Searching for census returns for Stephen Eastwood, born 1794 +-5 years and not coming up with anything so maybe both Stephen's, George's son and Samuel's son are dead by that time.

I thought it was Samuel's son that died in 1795 because he was described as an infant and was a matter of days old, but of course without proof!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 May 16 16:23 BST (UK) »
It does look likely that one died in 1795 and as Omega stated

one died aged 24 in 1818.  So likely that these are both the Stephen, hence none on the census returns.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 May 16 16:26 BST (UK) »
The Stephen who died in 1869 in Ticehurst, according to the death index was aged 71 so therefore born 1798.  I think it highly likely that he was the one born (baseborn) to Elizabeth in 1799.

Kerry

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 May 16 16:28 BST (UK) »
Btw I have taken to completely ignoring Ancestry trees.  They are usually complete and utter gobbledy gook!  Occasionally you find a proper tree with some cited sources but very few are done properly these days on that site.   >:(

Kerry

Offline Carbar

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 May 16 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry

just to add to the Stephen confusion...another one was born in Burwash, Stephen Eastwood & possibly Anne Langridge had a son Stephen, baptised 5 Oct 1788, he married (I think) Jane Davis on 8th Feb 1807 in Burwash.

A Stephen & Elizabeth Eastwood are on the 1841 census for Etchingham along with their 7 children - including another Stephen!!

Best wishes

Carole

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 May 16 16:36 BST (UK) »
Yep just found that one, I was searching for Burwash, Sussex and I think that was proving too narrow a search.

I think it may have been the 1799 Stephen who married Elizabeth Hyland and then died in 1869 in Ticehurst.  Purely because the 1841 census for that Stephen has him born 1801?? which is only two years out for 1799 but 7 years out for 1794.  She seems to have died before him between 1841 and 1851.

Kerry

Offline Carbar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 May 16 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry
I agree with your comment on Ancestry. I look to see if anyone has attached any evidence to their record if I hit a brick wall - occasionally they have but usually its just trees copied from other trees without any checking that the info is correct. It is quite funny to see children born before their parents were or people attached to trees just because they share the same surname!!!
Best wishes
Carole

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 15 May 16 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Carole & Kerry :)

Carole I found Ruth`s baptisum,10 Nov 1811 aged 7 but no parents names.Ive never seen this before.

kind regards

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 May 16 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Omega

Just found that, who ever filled in the register must have forgotten to write the names.  Perhaps they were celebrating too early!!!!!

There is a John and Philadelphia Rumary having other children baptised in Heathfield around the same time.  Could be possible parents.

Kerry