Author Topic: Caledon House  (Read 4097 times)

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Caledon House
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 May 16 19:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much.

I have a lot of work ahead of me.  ;)

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Raysgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 May 16 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Janice just seen your post. I just wanted to tell you what a lovely town Caledon is especially the Main St, were your William Gordon lived. Lord Caledon owned lots of properties in and around Caledon my mums family lived on the outskirts of Caledon in a cottage rented from the earl at that time.  In fact we are going to Caledon in 2weeks time  staying in one of the Lord's cottages that has been done up.  Anne  x
Davies,McMahon,Mullan,Mitchell,Haworth,Horrocks,Cocker,Crowther, Wood,Trainor.

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 May 16 01:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,
Thank you for letting me know that. It's nice to hear from someone who is familiar with the area. My grandmother spoke of her grandparents living in a nice house.

Never fully understood, until I started doing genealogy why that was important to her. She grew up in Glasgow, in an area not know for overly nice houses. (lol)

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Raysgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 May 16 07:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Janice, when we drive through Caledon it reminds me of Scotland because the Main St houses are like grey stone cottages, that you see in a lot of the villages we pass driving up to Stranraer. Some of my mums uncles settled in Glasgow and I still have cousins in the East Kilbride area now. Yes I know what you mean about the some of the housing conditions in Glasgow in the early 1900's. Good luck with your research.  Anne
Davies,McMahon,Mullan,Mitchell,Haworth,Horrocks,Cocker,Crowther, Wood,Trainor.

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 June 16 04:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you Anne.

Good luck with your research as well.

Janice

Offline RTB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 June 16 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you are on Facebook try,  Caledon and Aughnacloy Memories page, Lots of info plus a lot of local knowledge.

Richard

Searching;  Bailey, Watson in the Aughnacloy area

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 July 16 03:57 BST (UK) »
Sorry Richard, I just saw your reply.

Thank you. I will try that.

Janice

Offline MrsBS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 01 April 17 07:43 BST (UK) »
Janice

Did you ever locate any information, records or photos?

I am also looking for information on my 3x gr grandfather who was the Head Gardener at Caledon from the 1840's until the 1890's.

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 02 April 17 15:43 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately not. I tried writing several places, but to no avail.

I have sent you a private message with my email.

Janice