Author Topic: Wood & Sons Co. Bedlington Station Deane House  (Read 11653 times)

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wood & Sons Co. Bedlington Station Deane House
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 05 March 17 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Woodbutler

Sounds like we have ancestors in common.  I'm trying to work out the connection.  Who were the parents of your Grandfather?

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 06 March 17 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Yes that's my grandpa.  He did smoke a pipe.
And, Woodbutler, that refreshed my memory even more - the stem on his pipe was broken but he 'repaired' it using sellotape, elastoplast, or whatever.  We used to rib him, saying we would have a whip-around to buy him a new pipe.  He refused point blank, because that pipe was his favourite. :) ;)

Offline PLZA9012

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 08 April 18 21:55 BST (UK) »
I'm going to write, starting with the most recent.  Woodbutler, your grandfather, Harry, was the third son of Lancelot and Mary Wood.  There were eight children - Lance (born 1909), Eddie, Harry, Albert, Mary, Evelyn, Nora and Florence (born 1930).  They lived in Bedlington at the bottom of the Furnace Bank.

Lancelot (Harry's father) was one nine children of Joseph Wood (married to Fanny).  These nine children were Wiliam Henry, John, Isabella (later Isabella Miller), Lancelot, Annie (later Annie Atkinson), Ellen (later Ellen Petrie), Charles, Hannah and Joseph.

Joseph (Harry's grandfather) was born on 30th June 1838 in Sheffield North to William and Margaret (formerly Younge).  William's occupation was as a mason.

Joseph (Harry's grandfather) died in Bedlington on 11th February 1914.  His occupation was mineral water manufacturer and he had a number of businesses including one in Bedlington (which was then run by his son Lancelot who passed it to his own son Lancelot i.e. Lance, Harry's brother).  Another of Joseph's businesses was in Durham and was run by his son William Henry.  I think this business is the one that later became Wood & Watson.

I hope that helps to fill in some gaps/clear up some confusion.  Unfortunately, having several generations with the same name and a not uncommon surname doesn't make it easy.

Offline johnparker63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to bring this back but I was researching a house that we have just bought and it is the house in Bebside mentioned in this thread (Mansel Terrace).  I'd love to know if anyone had any more photographs of this lovely old house? 

Offline PLZA9012

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 21 February 19 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Which number Mansel Terrace have you bought?  My uncle owned the row at one time with family members living in them.  I'm not sure what I have in the way of photos, but will have a look.  I do remember them having lovely big, high-ceilings rooms.  But no central heating at that time, so they were pretty cold upstairs.

Offline johnparker63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 21 February 19 11:38 GMT (UK) »
#4 which we believe was owned by the Wood(s) family and then the Scott family.  We'll not know until we get in if the ceilings have been lowered; they certainly aren't the height we'd expect for the period 1850's! 

Offline Alex Wood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 25 July 19 16:34 BST (UK) »
I am the grandson to (Eddie) Edward Wood, the younger brother of Lance, both who lived I believe at Dene house.  He told me a lot about the Woods drinks business when I was a child.  I understand there was a big family fallout and Edward moved away to Grimsby.  I wanted to know more about the Wood family and who still resides in the Bedlington area.  A.Wood - East Yorkshire.

Offline Alex Wood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 26 December 19 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kathryn, I'm Alex Wood, my grandfather was called Edward Wood, a brother of Lance Wood.  I have an some old recipes from the Wood & Sons drink factory, books and images.

I would like to know what information you have regarding the Woods at Bebside, Bellington?

Offline Eggy1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 06 June 21 20:18 BST (UK) »
Dene House straight in front of the Furnace Bridge- photo from Evan Martin's book - The Archive Photographs Series - Bedlingtonshire. There is no date for when the photo was taken. The bridge in the photo is over the river Blyth. The Furnace Bank, Bedlington leads down to the bridge past the house and on the other side of the bridge is the Hair-pin-bends bank that leads away to Bebside.