Author Topic: Help finding parents , John taylo  (Read 804 times)

Offline joliz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help finding parents , John taylo
« on: Sunday 15 May 16 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi , can anyone help me find the parents of John Taylor , he was born 1755 , on family search info says born garboldisham Norfolk ,but ancestry says docking, John married Mary Callerby in 1779 , any help would be great

Thanks
   Jo

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding parents , John taylo
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 May 16 00:19 BST (UK) »
Docking baptisms are on FreeReg and there is no John Taylor baptised between 1750 and 1760.

According to burial records at Docking Mary was bc.1750 (79 at death) bur.19/10/1829 (widow) and John Taylor himself was bc.1750 (47 at death) bur.2/3/1797.

When you say Ancestry says he was born Docking I'm assuming you got this from a Public Tree.   Any tree has been submitted by a member (like you or I) on Ancestry and not by Ancestry themselves.   A lot of trees leave a lot to be desired with 'guesstimates' for birthdates and places.   Because someone says it so, doesn't make it so!   

From their burials both John and Mary were born ca.1750 whereas trees state 1755 for him (with no source listed and no parents showing so baptism clearly not found by submitters of the trees) and for Mary trees state bc.1760 - one tree has John dying in the US when this clearly wasn't the case at all.   Burials for both John and Mary were at Docking - he in 1797 and she in 1829.

A common surname like Taylor doesn't help but it would appear that you should be looking for a baptism around 1750 for both of them but can't see baptisms for either in Docking itself although they married, raised family and died there.

If you find a tree on ancestry, or even one on familysearch, as they are simply 'submissions' by  members always please check the facts against the parish records themselves.   If no source is given then the information has probably been guessed at.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 May 16 08:24 BST (UK) »
The John Taylor born Garboldisham is suspect as the parents are Robert and Rebecca, but John and Mary have no children with those names. Although Mary Callaby parents may be William and Mary of Docking.

Children of John Taylor and Mary Callaby
Mary bap 30 May 1779               (named for her mother poss maternal grandmother)
William bap 19 November 1780   (poss named for maternal grandfather)
John bap 24 November 1782   (father and or paternal grandfather)
Rose bap 10 January 1785 born 8th
Charles bap 3 February 1787 born 27 January
Hannah bap 4 April 1789 born 1st.

The William Callaby and wife Mary have children Charles and James at Docking.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 May 16 08:41 BST (UK) »
According to the Norfolk Record Office, the parish registers of Docking were buried under the floor of the church in 1940 for safe keeping, unfortunately they now damaged by damp and the edges of some pages are missing.
They do have microfiche copy at the NRO. 

Offline joliz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 19:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for info

Jo