Author Topic: Mary McLennan (b1842?) Dingwall and Alexander Rose (b1835?) unknown  (Read 734 times)

Offline gemoliver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi there!

I am researching my family tree and have hit a bit of a brick wall when it comes to my great grandfather's grandparents Alexander Rose and Mary McLennan who came over to New Zealand.

I am unable to find any parents for either of these people.

Clan MacLennan has them listed but no parents and a slightly different year of birth for Mary (1843)

I believe Mary was born in Dingwall in the 1842-1845 timeframe, she migrated to New Zealand in the early 1870's to be with Alexander who has already migrated here in 1855. 

There is a family folklore that Alexander may or may not have been born in Beauly, Scotland but that would be strange as he knew Mary before he came to NZ so I would have thought they must have been from a similar area to have known each other.

They married in 1874 in Timaru, New Zealand (Alexander was 39 and Mary was 32 as per the forms they filled in for their marriage licence) and had three sons Hugh Alexander (1878), John Kenneth (1875) and William (1880).

Mary passed away in 1892 and Alexander in 1897 - both died in Geraldine, New Zealand.

I am so frustrated as I can not seem to find anything on them that points me in a direction to find their parents.  There is again another family folklore that Alexander's father may have been called John hence his oldest son being called John but that could be a tale.

If anyone on here may have an Alexander Rose or a Mary McLennan on their family tree that may fit or be able to assist me in any way, I would be forever grateful.

Kind regards,

Gemma

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Mary McLennan (b1842?) Dingwall and Alexander Rose (b1835?) unknown
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 May 16 01:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Gemma,

Does their marriage cert. not at least name their father's?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline gemoliver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 May 16 01:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie
No unfortunately it doesn't, I also found the Intention to Marry forms lodged with the registrar and there's nothing on them either.  Frustrating

Gemma

Offline gemoliver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 May 16 02:16 BST (UK) »
Also just another side thought - there was mention of the Rose's from Fodderty? being related as in my grandmother's family photos, there is an obituary for a John Rose of Fodderty, Scotland and also a Jessie Rose, from Fodderty who was a spinster and dedicated her life to educating the children. I read the clipping a long time ago and haven't seen it since, so that's just going off the top of my head.