Author Topic: WATERS Banstead and the Asylum Cottages  (Read 784 times)

Offline Ande

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
WATERS Banstead and the Asylum Cottages
« on: Monday 16 May 16 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

According to the 1881 and 1891 census my ancestor, John Waters (born 1842, Ashtead, Surrey), lived at "3 Asylum Cottages", Banstead. His occupation on both censuses is listed as "Gardener and Bailiff".

I assume Asylum Cottages was near to the Banstead Asylum (which was for mental patients), which has been knocked down and replaced with a prison in the 80s. Do you think my ancestor worked at the asylum as a gardener? Or would the "Asylum Cottages" actually have had nothing to do with the workers at the asylum?

Also, would the street still be there that had the cottages on it? I imagine it was probably knocked down to make way for the new prison.

I was also wondering about the Bailiff part. The asylum wouldn't have need for a bailiff, surely, unless the use of the word has changed over the years. Would he have worked at the local Petty Sessions or The Old Bailey or someplace like that?

Just to give some perspective, on the 1871 census, it lists John as living in Cheam, Surrey, and his occupation is "Garden. Domestic Ser." Presumably he was a domestic service gardener for some private garden somewhere. I don't know if this offers any hints to his later gardening service but I wanted to include it just in case.

I'd love to find out more about this chap, but I'm not really sure where to start! I've found nothing about him in the British Newspaper Archive. I would love any direction from the great people at Rootschat.

Thanks in advance
Ande
JONES, HALL, CHACE, WRIGHT, CROCKER, NEPEAN, LAWRANCE, THORPE, ELLIOT, MORAN, all in South Australia. STÄRKE, SCHOLZ/SHOLZ in Prussia and South Australia. WATERS, FOWLER, INCE, MEARS, LLOYD, TRUSTER and COOPER in England (mainly Surrey). FRANKORT, LEUNISSEN, MUIJRERS, BROURERS, GORISSEN, DAMOISEAUX and LAHAYE/LAHIAJE in Limburg, Netherlands.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WATERS Banstead and the Asylum Cottages
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 May 16 09:26 BST (UK) »
1901 census 50 Bailiffs House John Waters age 59 gardener and bailiff ( asylum )
Amelia Collins Waters age 61 wife ...
Try goole some interesting reading   I would say your Uncle worked for the hospital  sorry I can't help with anything else
Rosie

Offline Ande

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 May 16 12:04 BST (UK) »
Oh I forgot he was on the 1901! Thanks Rosie. That goes to show he worked for the asylum. I still don't understand why an asylum would need a bailiff.
What did you Google, Rosie?
JONES, HALL, CHACE, WRIGHT, CROCKER, NEPEAN, LAWRANCE, THORPE, ELLIOT, MORAN, all in South Australia. STÄRKE, SCHOLZ/SHOLZ in Prussia and South Australia. WATERS, FOWLER, INCE, MEARS, LLOYD, TRUSTER and COOPER in England (mainly Surrey). FRANKORT, LEUNISSEN, MUIJRERS, BROURERS, GORISSEN, DAMOISEAUX and LAHAYE/LAHIAJE in Limburg, Netherlands.

Offline Ande

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 May 16 12:33 BST (UK) »
Well I think I may have solved the 'bailiff' business. (See attachment)
It's quite interesting!

I'd still love to know if the cottages are still there though, if anyone has any local knowledge.
Thanks
Ande

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 May 16 13:56 BST (UK) »
Oh I forgot he was on the 1901! Thanks Rosie. That goes to show he worked for the asylum. I still don't understand why an asylum would need a bailiff.
What did you Google, Rosie?
Just google his name and asylum cottage Banstead it should come up as lost hospitals Banstead of www.ezitis.myzen.co.UK/Banstead
Rosie