Author Topic: famous !!!  (Read 8180 times)

Offline GRACELAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Elvis Presley* ARTIST OF THE CENTURY..*
    • View Profile
Re: famous !!!
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 July 04 17:05 BST (UK) »
 :) What a great story i bet you like that one in your tree ?
         ;D   This is another good reason for researching your tree too find things like a witch in the family
                   Great thanks for sharing that with us  :D
God Knew Elvis was Tired so he called him to rest !................
"I like it well done, Cooked. I ain't orderin' a pet."
--Elvis Presley, On Meat
"Don't be like nobody else or you'll be livin' a lie, and that ain't livin'."
--Elvis Presley, On Individuality

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 August 04 22:52 BST (UK) »
;D          kazza,
                             When you find this murderer will you tell us all  ? ?  ?

or will you keep him too you self  ? ? ?
                                                               ;D
                                                keep searching ! :D

Sorry,

I read this reply but forgot to reply to you.

My murderer is William Hole executed at Bristol Prison in 1876 for the murder of his wife Alice. William was born in Bridgewater about 1825.  I am going to find out if he is one of mine before I investigate further.

Kazza.   ;D
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 August 04 13:41 BST (UK) »
My husband has a distant cousin who early in the last century regularly made the Times, in a long-running court case and PR war with an MP called Horatio Bottomley.   Bottomley had organised a sort of fundraising share issue meant to raise money for the War and also provide a return for investors.  Reuben Bigland reckoned Mr Bottomley was not being entirely straightforward, shall we say, and publicly denounced him.  This led Bottomley to bring an action against our Reuben for libel, and sue for damages.  The case was tried in the High Court, I think, and saw many twists and turns.   Both protaganists attempted to have each other imprisoned for contempt of court, but finally Bigland was acquitted of libel, no damages awarded, obviously, and Bottomley was arrested and charged with fraud, of which he was eventually found guilty.  Bottomley went bankrupt and only came out of prison a few years before his death.

Apparently a book was written about Bigland and Bottomley, both of whom were thought to be "scoundrels".
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline GRACELAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Elvis Presley* ARTIST OF THE CENTURY..*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 September 04 18:04 BST (UK) »
SO are you following in the family line a .
                                    Scoundrel !!!
                                           ;D ;D
God Knew Elvis was Tired so he called him to rest !................
"I like it well done, Cooked. I ain't orderin' a pet."
--Elvis Presley, On Meat
"Don't be like nobody else or you'll be livin' a lie, and that ain't livin'."
--Elvis Presley, On Individuality

Offline Annahannah

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 October 04 21:09 BST (UK) »
:D  Just A thought here !!!
          HAS ANY ONE FOUND IN THERE TREES A BIG BAD CRIME
     ONE OF YOUR RELATIONS HAS MADE ????? :-\

The most heinous crime on  my tree, that I have any documentation of, is an 8xG grandfather being convicted of "sheltering a stranger" and being fined 10s.

I have others, but he's the only one I can prove yet  ;D

Anna
Tharratt, Smith - London
Canham, Harvey, Ship - Suffolk
Higgins. Bowden, Ayres/Eyre - Buckingham
McDonald - Scotland, Africa, Canada, USA

Offline lindagene

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 October 04 23:19 BST (UK) »
Well.... one hardly likes to admit to this, but according to my G Aunt, a distant relation was the last female to be sent to Devils Island for killing her husband,    I have tried looking up Devils Island on the web for confirmation of the name, but have found nothing.     My other half has been very respectful of me since I found out about this!!!    Lindy. :-X
Snowdon, Collinson,  Durham, Northumberland,Yorkshire
Payne, Essex    Baker  Norfolk/Essex/Australia
Davies  Staffordshire, Shropshire

Offline Annahannah

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 October 04 23:56 BST (UK) »
Well.... one hardly likes to admit to this, but according to my G Aunt, a distant relation was the last female to be sent to Devils Island for killing her husband,    I have tried looking up Devils Island on the web for confirmation of the name, but have found nothing.     My other half has been very respectful of me since I found out about this!!!    Lindy. :-X

I'll trade you infamous ancestors!

Anna
Tharratt, Smith - London
Canham, Harvey, Ship - Suffolk
Higgins. Bowden, Ayres/Eyre - Buckingham
McDonald - Scotland, Africa, Canada, USA

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 October 04 21:51 BST (UK) »
I have!  I have! 

One of my discoveries was that an "uncle" was born before my ancestor was married but...........In Norwich Castle which was the County Jail at the time.

I went through the Records in the Records Office but there was nothing so I went through the Lynn News & Advertiser for the nine months before the birth and.....there she was along with her father, mother and two sisters.

To cut a very long and interesting story shorter....the whole family were done for manslaughter and all the women except one of the sisters who was only 13, were put in the Castle for nine months hard labour and the father was put in for one year.

I know more about this family than most of my others because the paper reported on loads of details and the Assize records gave details.  I later discovered the prison records and descriptions of these ancestors etc

If this had been a few years later there could have been mug shots too as a load of them have recently been put into the Record Office from the Prison.

Sometimes it is better to have criminals as ancestors, you find out more about them!!!!!

Next subject, I have a case of father/daughter incest in the mid 18th century, anyone else found that sort of awful thing?

Teddybear1843
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline billgam

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 17 October 04 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi All.

Nothing like some of yours but according to family legend one of my ancestors was convicted of stealing a pig and deported to Australia. (still to research)
Not wishing to cast a slur on all Aussies but one I met a few years ago left me wondering why the kept my ancestor and allowed the pig to come back.

Bill
Wiltshire/Alderbury - Gambling, Pearcey, Newman, Lucas, Thomas
Hampshire/Sussex, Gamble, Gamblen, Gamblin.
Somerset/Winscombe - Day,Ellis
Australia/Sidney/Queensland/N.S.W - Gambling
New Zealand - Gambling/Lampard