Author Topic: HELP - Understanding the origin of the McGeorge family  (Read 1889 times)

Offline McGeorgeSearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HELP - Understanding the origin of the McGeorge family
« on: Thursday 19 May 16 01:46 BST (UK) »
I really hope someone might help me solve this issue!

I read the extract from the Scottish nation: or The Surnames, Families, Literature, Honours and Biographical History, Volume 2, by William Anderson 1862.
http://www.kirkcudbright.co/historyarticle.asp?ID=216&p=...

And here is what it says:
"Macgeorge, originally Mac Jore, the surname of an old family which, from an early period, was settled in Galloway. Towards the middle of the 17th century they had become divided into several branches - all landed proprietors and all in the same district, chiefly in the parish of Urr.

One of these branches was Macgeorge of Cocklick, another Macgeorge of Culloch, and a third became proprietors afterwards of the lands of Auchenreoch and others. The name, at an early period spelt and pronounced Macjore, appears in that form on the tombstone of one of the families in the churchyard of Urr so late us the end of the 17th century. The inscription on this tombstone is interesting as showing the change in the writing of the name in the same family. It is as follows - "John Macjore in Cartine died 28 Feb. 1691, aged 80: also John M'George of Cocklick his son. He died 17th June 1726 aged 69." There were two other branches, believed to be of the same family, in the county of Ayr - which was originally a part of Galloway. These branches originally spelt the name Macjarrow, and it so appears in the statute of 1 William and Mary, restoring the "memory, fame, and worldly honours" of above 400 of the victims of oppression during the twenty-three preceding years. In this roll the names are entered as Macjarrow of Perjarrow and Macjarrow of Altaberry."

Here is what I don't understand! At one point they mention that the surname was originally spelled as Macjarrow , and at another point they mention Macjore. What's the difference? Where do each of them stand? I'm confused.

"By the beginning of the 18th century the names of all these families had come to be spelt and pronounced Macgeorge. They appear to have been of Irish extraction. There were branches of several distinguished Irish families settled in Galloway, such as the clan Carthy (called in that district Macartney), and others; and the late Mr. Brydson, the author of an excellent work on Heraldry, is of opinion that the family of Macgeorge is descended from the ancient Irish clan Mac Yoris, which had settled, he says, at an early period, in Galloway, and which, in the time of Henry II., was reckoned among the great families of Ireland. This is confirmed by the manner in which the name at an early period was pronounced and spelt in Galloway."

Someone told me that Mac Yoris is in fact the MacFheorais family (that were descended from the De Birmingham family). Is that the one?

Based on what is the connection made to the MacYoris/MacFheorais family?

I really hope someone could answer my questions and shed some light on the topic, as I'm confused.

Also, I'd love to hear your views on the authenticity and accuracy of that information.

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: HELP - Understanding the origin of the McGeorge family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 May 16 08:49 BST (UK) »
I don't know of the work or of the author but I would always start from the assumption that a nineteenth century writer hasn't applied the degree of scholastic vigour that we would expect these days.

Names and spellings were fluid into the twentieth century. The very idea of an "original" spelling isn't one that I would go with.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HELP - Understanding the origin of the McGeorge family
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 May 16 16:04 BST (UK) »
R.Trotter in his wondrful book "Galloway Gossip" 1901, has this name as MacJore, pronounced MacYore/MaJore, & genteel version McGeorge/McKeur/Ure/Georges.

Skoosh.