Author Topic: Emma DANIELS  (Read 1280 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Emma DANIELS
« on: Thursday 19 May 16 14:51 BST (UK) »
Emma DANIELS was the last of 12 children born to Charles DANIELS and Eliza GAME. I cannot find a birth certificate for her.

According to the 1871 census, she was living with her parents, aged 2, born Holloway, at 29 Scholefield Road, Islington.

According to the 1881 census, she was living with her parents, aged 12, born Holloway, at 18 Cromwell Road, Islington.

The consensus therefore seems to suggest a birth c1869, which is consistent with an age of 20 on her marriage certificate to William Callcott in June 1889.

She was baptised, but rather late at 28 Nov 1880 at St Stephen's, Holloway. There is no date of birth on her baptism record.

There is a possible record on Free BMD for Emma DANIEL [Q2 1869 St Geo, E 1c 418]. There is a note next to the entry stating "Scanned index shows 2 entries for 1c 418: Emma DANIEL and Rachel Emma DANIELS. The returned certificate is simply for Rachel. Father Walter DANIEL."

I am wondering what the above means. Are there two separate entries, one for Emma and one for Rachel Emma? If so how does one get hold of the one for Emma? Or are the two entries one and the same.

As well as answers to the above, I would obviously welcome any other possible candidates for her birth certificate.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emma DANIELS
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 May 16 15:00 BST (UK) »

According to the 1871 census, she was living with her parents, aged 2, born Holloway, at 29 Scholefield Road, Islington.

According to the 1881 census, she was living with her parents, aged 12, born Holloway, at 18 Cromwell Road, Islington.

1871 appears to just be Eliza, who is a Widow, with the children. Charles then reappears by 1881?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 May 16 15:26 BST (UK) »
Do you know if it was Charles who registered the other births?   As it looks as though he was away from home around the time of Emma's birth, maybe her mother never thought to have her registered.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 May 16 15:28 BST (UK) »
we've been here before

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=709238.0

with further topics about other children
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 May 16 15:29 BST (UK) »
How old was Eliza when Emma was born?  Thinking if she was the last of 12 she could have actually belonged to an older daughter but was brought up as a daughter rather than a grandchild (if that makes sense!)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 May 16 15:33 BST (UK) »
From the start of civil registration in 1837 until a change in the law in 1873/4, the onus was on the registrar to go around his district and collect birth registrations as well as relying on parents to turn up at the office and register.

An unquantifiable number of births were not officially registered between 1837 and 1874, with parents relying on baptism instead.

There may not be a birth certificate to find, if Emma's parents were not at home when the registrar came calling or if they chose not to give him her details.

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 May 16 15:36 BST (UK) »
How many correct birth certs for their children have you obtained?

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 May 16 15:39 BST (UK) »
Charles was working away from home in Diss, Norfolk with his brother during the 1871 census.

I am aware that we have been here before. Whilst I would obviously welcome any insights, the main point of my post was the Free BMD comment.

Is the suggestion that we cannot go back on old unresolved enquiries. If so I will desist in making any more postings.

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 May 16 15:42 BST (UK) »
I have correct birth certificates for 6 of the 12 children, not 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 10. Also from the 1939 Register, I have DOBs for 9 and 11.