Author Topic: Hopgood 's of Woolwich related to Hopgood's of Boughton Monchelsea  (Read 2572 times)

Offline easternHammer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hopgood 's of Woolwich related to Hopgood's of Boughton Monchelsea
« on: Thursday 19 May 16 16:44 BST (UK) »
I guess given the limited leisure time and difficulty of travel that often people had a much more smaller circle of acquaintances, so invariably I surpose matches were often arranged between families which knew each other and may have already been related, with greater frequence than today. It is probably a good thing to bear in mind when searching for possible marriages. One such example I believe I came across is the HOPGOOD family link in my tree.

In 1841 10th July at East Wickham Parish Church, Priscilla Gardner WHITE (a single mother) married John HOPGOOD descibled as a widower and labourer.
They had 2 children,b 16 Jan 1843 Esther Simmons HOPGOOD in Plumstead, Then b 2 Apr 1845 Plumstead Sarah Hennington HOPGOOD

As Priscilla's middle name sugests her mother was a Esther Simmons (nee GARDINER).
In turn Esther's parents were James GARDINER and Philadelphia Simons (nee SHARPE)
Now Philadelphia's younger sister was a Priscilla (nee SHARPE) HOPGOOD married to a John HOPGOOD  in 1784 Maidstone who went on to live in the area of Boughton Monchelsea.
The question is this the same HOPGOOD family? HOPGOOD doesn't strike me as being a particularly common name yet for their to be 2 such connections...

Offline farlington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hopgood 's of Woolwich related to Hopgood's of Boughton Monchelsea
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 June 16 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Easternhammer, I would be inclined to work on the assumption that they are from the same source name Hopgood as looking in the 1841 census there are only 37 Hopgoods in Kent and they are all in NW Kent

Farlington

Offline easternHammer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 June 16 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Farlington,
Given your statistic only 37 Hopgoods in 1841 I'd  say it must be the same family
Thanks

Offline BarnesB25

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 11:17 BST (UK) »
I am descended from John Hopgood, who was born in Staplehurst, married in Maidstone in 1784 and lived in Boughton Monchelsea before moving to Plumstead. I have his grandson's (Robert) family bible which includes all those born to him, (15).
Through John Hopgood's wife, Priscilla Sharpe, the line apparently goes back to Edward III, but I have to check that out.
Unfortunately I am stuck at John Hopgood and cannot get further back.

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 September 18 14:03 BST (UK) »
I wonder if there is connection to this memorial at nearby Loose

130. Headstone and slab. Headstone: In Memory of Mrs Mary HABGOOD wife of James Habgood of Fish-Street Hill London and Daughter of William and Elizabeth JONES who departed this life March 8th 1804 Aged 42 years. Slab: In Memory of Fourr children of Thomas Jones of this Parish by Mary his Wife. Edwd the first bornd died ....../1713 Aged one. Mary died ...../1719 [Aged .. Years] [Thomas] died Oct [..] 1720 [Aged Years] [Thomas] youngest died [] 1731. He died in His infancy. East side: Mary ye daughter of Thom[as and] Elizabeth HOPE of Boughton died ye 13 of Decm. 1747 Aged 23 years. North side: [] Sarah Hope died August the 9th 1787 Aged 68 years. Elizh widow of the late Samuel DENNIS D.D. formerly President of St Johns College Oxford Daughter of Joseph & Elizh CHARLTON of Loose who died March 3rd 1831 Aged 86. South side: Here lyeth intered the body of Thomas FISHER late of Boughton Munchelsea Free Mason who departed this life the 54 year of his Age. Here [lyeth] intered also the Body of Elizabeth his W[ife who de]parted this life the 19 day of Apri[l in the year] of our Lord 1694 [in the .....] yeare of her age. West side: [H]ere lyeth interred the body of Thomas Fisher late of Boughton Monchelsea Tanner and s[on] of the beforesaid Thoma[s Fis]her & Elizabe[th] his wife [who de]parted th[is] Lif]e March] the 21st [in] the [Year of our Lord] 17[12] A[]. Top face: only some traces visible. ..... Daughter..... Franci(?e)s 28th 1771. (Burial Register: Thomas Fisher, 25 March 1712, ‘buried in linen’, ‘50/- was paid to ye poor’).

https://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/Libr/MIs/MIsLoose/01.htm

BUT the Loose History Society has this as 2 separate tombs (so, no definite connection to Boughton Monchelsea.  I do think the that the names HAPGOOD, HABGOOD and HOPGOOD were interchangeable).

LCG106. Headstone and slab. Headstone: In Memory of Mrs Mary HABGOOD wife of
James Habgood of Fish-Street Hill London and Daughter of William and Elizabeth
JONES who departed this life March 8th 1804 Aged 42 years. Slab: In Memory of Fourr
children of Thomas Jones of this Parish by Mary his Wife. Edwd
the first bornd died
....../1713 Aged one. Mary died ...../1719 [Aged .. Years] [Thomas] died Oct [..] 1720
[Aged Years] [Thomas] youngest died [] 1731. He died in His infancy. Photo available.

http://www.looseareahistorysociety.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/MEMORIAL-INSCRIPTIONS-IN-ALL-SAINTS-CHURCH-CHURCHYARD-AND-CEMETERY-LOOSE.pdf

I can't see any HA(O)PGOODs on the 1811 or 1812 census for Boughton Monchelsea.

http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~mrawson/genealogy/bomonch11.html
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~mrawson/genealogy/bomonch21.html
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 September 18 17:29 BST (UK) »
The 1833 Poll for Knights of the Shire for 1833 lists a Thomas HOPGOOD of Bogden Farm, Marden (the neighbouring vilage to Staplehurst).  He's still there in the tithe award schedule in 1841
http://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/Maps/MRD/02a.htm
It looks likely that's it's not far from where Boys SIMONS was living.  It would be worth investigating the parish records for Marden.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hopgood1980

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 April 21 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi I’m from the line of hopgoods descendant from John hopgood Boyce Simmons hopgood Robert hopgood etc. Anyone here with any info or related to hopgoods any information I would appreciate it. Thanks