Author Topic: Cameron/Fletcher, Morvern, Oban  (Read 1992 times)

Offline MissMacCallum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cameron/Fletcher, Morvern, Oban
« on: Thursday 19 May 16 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi.

I'm sorry if I have posted about this family on here before, but I couldn't find anything.

I'm hoping someone knows this family and/or can help me.

I have come to a complete standstill at my great-great grandfather John Cameron. According to census records he was born around 1852, Morvern, but I haven't found a record on this with the same parents that was named in the marriage record - Hugh Cameron and Anne Fletcher.

He is also listed as widower at his marriage record to Mary Mac Callum in 1880 in Oban. I haven't found any marriages that could be his from the years before 1880. So if someone should know something, or have some time on their hands, any info would be appreciated!

I have recently also heard rumors that there are some Spanish connections in this line somewhere.

This is what I have on John Cameron:

Born around 1852, Morvern, Oban to parents Hugh Cameron and Anne Fletcher.

He married Mary Mac Callum in 1880, Oban. They had 8 children. Around 1900 they moved to Inveroran Hotel and lived at and ran the hotel until around 1930. John seems to have left the family a little earlier. He died in 1928 in Oban.

So, the later part of his life isn't as much of a mystery as the earlier parts. If anyone knows anything, or can find something that I have overlooked, that would be much appreciated!
Cameron (Morvern, Oban)
MacCallum (Lismore)
Buchanan (Lismore)
Connell (Lismore)
Leishman (Cumbernauld)
Adam (Lanark/Fife)
Gilfillan (Lanark)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Cameron/Fletcher, Morvern, Oban
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 May 16 18:01 BST (UK) »
The 1861 has an 11yr old John Cameron b Morvin (note spelling) with parents Hugh (55) and Ann (47) Siblings are Samuel (7) and Margaret (15)

have you already discounted that entry?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 May 16 18:09 BST (UK) »
Per family Search - Hugh Cameron & Anne Fletcher married 29.11.1847 Glenorchy And Inishail,Argyll
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MissMacCallum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 May 16 18:10 BST (UK) »
I have seen the census, and this could very possibly be them, as the names of the children are names that have been used later in the family. So this supports the fact that the marriage record is the right one, and that his parents actually is Hugh and Ann/Anne, even though I can't seem to find a birth record on him with the right parents.

I have found a birth record of a John Cameron with parents Hugh Cameron and Anne Fletcher, but it's 50 years too early.. Missed a generation? Haha. So I have started questioning if I have done a huge error somewhere early in the research, but the censuses seems to support the research so far.
Cameron (Morvern, Oban)
MacCallum (Lismore)
Buchanan (Lismore)
Connell (Lismore)
Leishman (Cumbernauld)
Adam (Lanark/Fife)
Gilfillan (Lanark)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 May 16 18:16 BST (UK) »
Have a look at the 1861 entry for Hugh Cameron b 1826 Glenonay.  Father in law Archibald FLATCHER (probably a mistranscription) aged 85 living with them but son John is shown as 3yrs old

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 May 16 18:22 BST (UK) »
John (1858), Ellen (1860) & Dugald (1855) baptisms are on FS - parents Hugh Cameron & Ann Fletcher

Offline MissMacCallum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 May 16 18:34 BST (UK) »
From what I have from the censuses I have found that seem to match, they had their first child in 1839, so a marriage in 1847 seems to be a little late.

The children are Mary, Peggy, Margaret, John and Samuel.

From the censuses Hugh should have been born around 1805, and Anne around 1813.

This could of course be totally wrong, but just thought I'd add it to the information :)

Thank you for your input so far! I'm Norwegian, so I'm not that competent with the UK genealogy resources :)
Cameron (Morvern, Oban)
MacCallum (Lismore)
Buchanan (Lismore)
Connell (Lismore)
Leishman (Cumbernauld)
Adam (Lanark/Fife)
Gilfillan (Lanark)

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 May 16 02:46 BST (UK) »
Hello,                                                                                                                                               Just adding my 2 cents worth - I would guess that the father-in-law of Hugh Cameron was Archibald FLETCHER, as you have likely also guessed, and that Glenonay is very possibly Glenorchy (or Glen Orchy.) The Inveroran Hotel mentioned is in this very area. This glen is the cradle of Clan FLETCHER. Almost all Argyll and west coast/island FLETCHERs can trace their ancestry back to there. My father is 85 and the last known FLETCHER ever born there. He may have more info. about this Archibald who would have been born about 1776, by the info. found on the 1861 census. The given name Archibald is very strong among the Glen Orchy FLETCHERs. I must delve into this further.                                                                                                     Mary Fletcher Harris
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull