Author Topic: Christopher Leavey, Longford, Diocese of Ardagh and the parish of Templemichael  (Read 3828 times)

Offline joyce2805

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My 3X great grandfather, Christopher Leavy lived and died in County Longford in the Diocese of Ardagh and the parish of Templemichael.  Seven children were born there.  He was buried from the same location on October 22, 1840 at the age of 59. This information was obtained from .nli.ie website.  I have two questions, please.

1.   The burial information indicated he was from Coolaney.  Does the word “from” (Latin de) infer a place of birth or a residence prior to living in Longford County
2.   Does anyone know if a death certificate might be available?  I would like to confirm his place of birth if possible and know the next of kin.  Thank you for any assistance.

Joyce Hamam Jackson

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
2.   Does anyone know if a death certificate might be available?  I would like to confirm his place of birth if possible and know the next of kin.
Civil registration of deaths in Ireland didn't start until 1864 and Irish death certificates don't list place of birth.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline joyce2805

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Your reply was certainly a quick one.  Thank you so much for the information and it is extremely helpful.  I appreciate your time in assisting.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hopefully someone will be able to answer the Latin query  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline joyce2805

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
I am debating between Coolaney in County Sligo and Cooleeney in County Longford.  i am new in Ireland researching and maybe I will receive another great reply.  Thanks again.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
It might help if you posted the NLI link to record so others can look at it..?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline joyce2805

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
i will do that.  Thank you for suggesting it.

Offline joyce2805

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Christopher Leavey County Longford Diocese of Ardagh parish of Templemichael
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 May 16 13:24 BST (UK) »
This was posted earlier and a very nice person suggested I attach the nli.ie information.  The attachment indicates that information.  Third line from the top.

My 3X great grandfather, Christopher Leavy lived and died in County Longford in the Diocese of Ardagh and the parish of Templemichael.  Seven children were born there.  He was buried from the same location on October 22, 1840 at the age of 59. This information was obtained from nli.ie website.  I have a question, please.

The burial information indicated he was from Coolaney.  Does the word “from” (Latin de) infer a place of birth or a residence prior to living in Longford County.  I am debating between Coolaney and Cooleeney.  Thank you.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
This was posted earlier and a very nice person suggested I attach the nli.ie information.  The attachment indicates that information.  Third line from the top.

My 3X great grandfather, Christopher Leavy lived and died in County Longford in the Diocese of Ardagh and the parish of Templemichael.  Seven children were born there.  He was buried from the same location on October 22, 1840 at the age of 59. This information was obtained from nli.ie website.  I have a question, please.

The burial information indicated he was from Coolaney.  Does the word “from” (Latin de) infer a place of birth or a residence prior to living in Longford County.  I am debating between Coolaney and Cooleeney.  Thank you.

Well you have obviously looked at townlands etc in Templemichael ( http://www.logainm.ie/en/s?txt=in%3a1670&cat=BF&pag=-1&ord=ga )  it is difficult to call!

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.