Author Topic: Seeking some Tolleys from Doncaster  (Read 793 times)

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
  • The future is all about the past
    • View Profile
Seeking some Tolleys from Doncaster
« on: Friday 20 May 16 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi all, my Tolley men have me darting around Leicester, Warwickshire, Worcestershire, and Yorkshire and have me in a complete whirl.
My Yorkshire Tolleys seem to be John Tolley born in 1791 and baptised on 24th April in Doncaster. His father was James Tolley who married Jane Major in Doncaster on 15th June 1790. The couple had one more child, George Tolley born in Doncaster in 1793 and baptised there on 1st April of that year.

I cannot find any information on James, who would probably have been born around 20-30 years before his sons or on Jane, although I have seen a birth in Doncaster of a JENNY Major who was baptised there on 7th June 1772.

I realise that James and Jane may not have originated from Doncaster but the nearest Yorkshire birth I can find for a Jane major is that of a young woman baptised in Bridlington in 1780. I don't believe that this is my Jane as she would only have been 11 when her son was born and also there is a marriage for  a Jane Major of Bridlington to someone other than James Tolley.

If anyone has any ideas about how to trace the parents of my John Tolley of Doncaster I'd be most grateful. John married Elizabeth Milnthorpe of Emley on 15th November 1824 in Ribbesford, Worcestershire and they were in kidderminster by 1826 where four of their children were born.
By 1830 they were living in Warwick St Mary where the remaining four children were born and where two of the first born chilldren died. After this the family moved to Leicester.

thank you in advance for any help you asre able to give.  :)
Knight, Bates, Newton, Pick,Perkins, Marshall, North, Kilby, Beckett, Prince.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking some Tolleys from Doncaster
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 May 16 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Tuggybear,

This site suggests that JENNY was a diminutive of Janet, JANE, Jean, and Jennifer  :) The baptism in 1772 looks pretty good to me  :)

http://nameberry.com/babyname/Jenny

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 May 16 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
Going the other way to Worcestershire.
Ribbesford includes the village of Bewdley .
There's a mass baptism of Children at Kidderminster 5.10.1810
Mary,Thomas,James  children of John and Jane Tolley.

James appears on the censuses as born 1802 Bewdley cabinet maker which would fit nicely with his father John being a turner on John and George's baptisms.
Further child Hannah baptised 8.4.1819 from Familysearch,obviously original would give more details.
Burial James Tolley 30.9.1850 Kidderminster age 81
Jane death June 1847  at Kidderminster.

Looks like they at Stourbridge St? Kidderminster in 1841
John Tolley 70 turner y
Jane 65 n

Obviously not on the 1851

ps James baptised Kidderminster 5.5.1769 s of John and Margaret Tolley could be him .
Plus son James  born 1802 Bewdley is back in Dewsbury in 1881.Visiting relatives perhaps?

Ciderdrinker

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 May 16 14:25 BST (UK) »

That looks good ciderdrinker, well spotted  :)

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 May 16 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi both, thank you for the replies. Claire, that could explain my Jane although the baptism was for a Jenny. I haven't managed to see an image of the actual record as my An'try account only brings up an index so will have to try and track that down.

Ciderdrinker, I did wonder about the 1769 baptism in Kidderminster, it may well be my James, especially given the baptisms that took place there. It seems as though they will be easier to track than the more recent George Henry who disappears from the Leicester census in 1891 onward and only reappears in Leicester in 1915 when his wife summoned him for assaulting her. Before 1922 he had cleared off to Birmingham where I am also struggling to find him. This family certainly seem to have moved around a lot.  :)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 May 16 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Tuggybear

The images are on FindMyPast, plus the Bishops Transcript as well, definitely looks like Jenny

claire

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 May 16 17:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Claire, I will have to take out a FindMyPast subscription I think as it will work out cheaper than just buying a set number of credits.  :)