Author Topic: Where did Convict Henry Hunt come from?  (Read 4207 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where did Convict Henry Hunt come from?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 May 16 10:04 BST (UK) »
Linking to related thread on the Surrey board http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=748309.0
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Susannah80

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 May 16 12:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your valuable input. Most of the Australian info I already have.  It is the dilemma of Where he was born/baptised and who his parents are.  I have him as being born 19th July, 1814, St. Mary, Newington, Surrey and baptised 3rd Sept. 1815 of same. His Parents being William Hunt and Elizabeth Bird.  The only clue I have that he he was ever in Newington are his Transportation
records.

Thank you all again,
Kind regards,

Susan Hunt

Offline Susannah80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 May 16 12:25 BST (UK) »
Henry was again convicted in the colony as Edward HUNT and sent to Norfolk Island in 1837.

Susannah80, did Henry/Edward die after 1856?  If so, is there a mother's maiden surname recorded on his death certificate?

Debra  :)
Yes Debra he died 6 October, 1891.  "Rawcliffe" Carroll NSW Australia.  I think "Rawcliffe" could have been a farming property, in a fairly isolated town of Carroll in the late 1890's.
Sue :)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 May 16 13:43 BST (UK) »
Is there a surname for his mother recorded on the certificate?

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 05:33 BST (UK) »
All a bit vague Susannah80. If you don't think the IGI is correct

"Thomas - 1803 - St. George the Martyr, Surrey
Louisa - 1805 - St. George the Martyr, Surrey
Richard - 1809 - St. George the Martyr, Surrey
James - 1812 bap - St Mary, Newington
Richard Bird Hunt - 1812 bap - St. Mary, Newington
Mary Ann - 1818 - St. Mary Newington, Surrey
Charles John - 1819 - Saint Mary, Newington Surrey

Also are William Hunt and Elizabeth Bird his parents they were married 1804 Saint Mary at Lambeth, " Register of Marriages P85/MRY1 Item 395"

Then I would suggest trying DNA matching with other decendants of that couple. I'm not sure any other decendants of the couple would have kept written records of their transported brother especially if he was a hawker. They would have been poor people
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Susannah80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 10:58 BST (UK) »
His sentence was for 7 years, so he should have hopefully returned in 1839. There is a marriage for a Henry Hunt & Mary Ann Rains on October 1839 in Newington, Elham, Kent. On the 1871 Census they are living at Pean, Newington with their 3 sons. Henry was born in Newington and his occupation is Agricultural Labourer and Mary Ann was born  in Lyminge, Kent. I'm not sure if this is the same Henry you are looking for but a possible.

Kind Regards,

Ellen
Thankyou Ellen I know he remained in Australia  :)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 May 16 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

The NSW Register of Births, Deaths and Marriages seem to have the death for Edward,

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx

If you put HUNT in the deaths search box and narrow the date to between 06.10.1891 - 07.10.1891 you get this,

https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au/lifelink/familyhistory/search/result?16

which shows Edward's parents to be Edward and Sarah.

This info about what's on a NSW death cert shows that it gives the age at death but doesn't mention that it gives a date of birth just a birthplace, so I wonder where the "born 02 April 1814" comes from.

http://nswtranscriptions.com.au/pages/about-nsw-death-certificates.php

If you are sure that Henry/Edwards death was 6 October, 1891 then this looks like the right one.

He his aged 20 in 1832 and the "New South Wales, Australia, Certificates of Freedom" gives his DOB as 1812, also I think that it's possible that saying his native place was Surrey might mean where he was living at the time rather than where he was born. It's also possible that he was brought up in Surrey but born elsewhere and he didn't even know. 

I think getting the death cert. would be really helpful as it might give the maiden name for Sarah.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Susannah80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 May 16 08:12 BST (UK) »
Henry was again convicted in the colony as Edward HUNT and sent to Norfolk Island in 1837.

Susannah80, did Henry/Edward die after 1856?  If so, is there a mother's maiden surname recorded on his death certificate?

Hi Debra,
Yes he did, he died in Australia aged in his 70's.  Alas the info on his death Certificate is not right.  The informant used Henry/Edward Hunt's wife's name on the certificate.

Sue

Offline Susannah80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 May 16 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

The NSW Register of Births, Deaths and Marriages seem to have the death for Edward,

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx

If you put HUNT in the deaths search box and narrow the date to between 06.10.1891 - 07.10.1891 you get this,

https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au/lifelink/familyhistory/search/result?16

which shows Edward's parents to be Edward and Sarah.

This info about what's on a NSW death cert shows that it gives the age at death but doesn't mention that it gives a date of birth just a birthplace, so I wonder where the "born 02 April 1814" comes from.

http://nswtranscriptions.com.au/pages/about-nsw-death-certificates.php

If you are sure that Henry/Edwards death was 6 October, 1891 then this looks like the right one.

He his aged 20 in 1832 and the "New South Wales, Australia, Certificates of Freedom" gives his DOB as 1812, also I think that it's possible that saying his native place was Surrey might mean where he was living at the time rather than where he was born. It's also possible that he was brought up in Surrey but born elsewhere and he didn't even know. 

I think getting the death cert. would be really helpful as it might give the maiden name for Sarah.

Regards,
Daisy
Thankyou for your input Daisy,
I have Henry/Edward's death certificate. The informant was his son-in-law Jo Austin, he has mistakenly  put down the name of Henry's wife Sarah Skelton as Henry's mother and "Edward" as his father.  Edward is in fact Henry - he changed names at times during his incarceration. His Certificate of Freedom dated 13/5/1846 stated that his name was Henry. His marriage Certificate 3/9/1853 he is named as Edward.
All of this info I have but he is a mystery person in England. Born 2/4/1814 to William (Hunt) and Elizabeth (Bird) and then he went to court in Surrey QS 20/2/1832.

Regards,
Sue