Author Topic: Westminster Parish Registers Collection has been updated on FindMyPast  (Read 2097 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Westminster Parish Registers Collection has been updated on FindMyPast
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 May 16 18:21 BST (UK) »
over 85,000 names and marriages incorrectly attirubuted to St James the Less Thorndike Street have possibly been (finally) corrected to St James Piccadilly.

However there are only 2 churches named St James in Westminster: St James Piccadilly the prefered name aka St James Westminster and St James the Less but if you do a marriage search on FindMyPast you get to select plain St James as well which returns another 3000 names when you search without the correct attribution.

About the years covered, FindMyPast may have taken the view that very few couples celebrate 70+ years of marriage so cut off the dates at 1945.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 May 16 22:55 BST (UK) »
Still there is no sign of the ninety-odd years of burial records missing from St George Hanover Square (burials start in 1725 according to CWA, yet FindMyPast has none before about 1815).  I raised this several times with CWA.

I was looking at baptism records for St George Hanover Square yesterday from about 1725 onwards and the burials are on the same page. Each page is divided into two columns with baptisms on the left and burials on the right. Don't think they are indexed as none showed up when I searched for someone with a particular name. Just a matter of finding a baptism around the time period and then scrolling through the images.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 May 16 04:36 BST (UK) »
Ian, thank you very much for the tip.

I will see how long that practice lasted.  My missing burials are 1770s through to 1807, but I might be lucky.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 May 16 05:45 BST (UK) »
Following up on Ian's tip above, it appears that the Funerals (as they are labelled in the register) at St George Hanover Square can be found (unindexed) at the right side of each page of Baptisms from 1725 to early 1738.  The practice stops at the beginning of the new year on March 25, 1738.