Author Topic: Finding a grave for my Grandad, Dennis Storrs  (Read 2531 times)

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding a grave for my Grandad, Dennis Storrs
« on: Friday 20 May 16 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi im looking in to a death for my Grandad, Dennis Storrs.See Below please.

Name   Dennis Storrs
Birth Date   abt 1914
Date of Registration   Jun 1967
Age at Death   53
Registration district   Grimsby
Inferred County   Lincolnshire
Volume   3b
Page   209.

I have sent 2 emails to grimsby registry office but got no reply so not sure if they have recieved them, i live in Lancashire so am unable to go and check myself. I am trying to find out if this death above is him or someone else, I am also trying to find out if he was Buried/Cremated in grimsby or if he came home to Scunthorpe,or was buried elsewhere, i have tried several find a grave sites and got nothing.
Any help greatly appreciated
many thanks
Debbie xx
Barnes,Driffill,Altoft,Thompson,Metcalfe,Owbridge,
Houlton,Parker,Barrett,Dowse Wild,Kennan all in and around scunthorpe,winterton,winteringham,burton stather,Paull nr hull, Preston nr hull,caistor,market rasen,middle rasen, Storrs -Scunthorpe,Parrett-Hull,Clark -Tealby, Booth,Calhoun- Driffill-Bradford,Londonderry,Ellerbeck- Kirby Yorks,Stephenson- Yorks,Jowett -Thorne yorks,James.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a grave
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 May 16 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

There are 5 children showing as born to the marriage between 1936 and 1948.  Are any still alive who could answer your query?

You have to buy a copy of the cert to get his exact death date and also his address at that time as here are all the areas covered by the Grimsby RD

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/grimsby.html
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 May 16 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi CaroleW,
thanks for your response, im a afraid no one i can ask,I am not in touch with my father or whats left of his kin that are alive,  also i have only 4 births to his marriage,and unfortunatly i never knew my grandad Dennis,i was always told he died before i was born,i am assuming the marriage broke down and he moved to grimsby since finding out he died their, and was not aware he died in Grimsby till i started researching this side of my tree, hence i was hoping someone on here would be able to help me trace where he his buried/cremated.
many thanks
Debbie x
Houlton,Parker,Barrett,Dowse Wild,Kennan all in and around scunthorpe,winterton,winteringham,burton stather,Paull nr hull, Preston nr hull,caistor,market rasen,middle rasen, Storrs -Scunthorpe,Parrett-Hull,Clark -Tealby, Booth,Calhoun- Driffill-Bradford,Londonderry,Ellerbeck- Kirby Yorks,Stephenson- Yorks,Jowett -Thorne yorks,James.

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 May 16 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Carolew
Sorry ive miss read my tree there is 5 births for my grandparents,
many thanks
debbie xx

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 May 16 21:56 BST (UK) »
If you check on the 1939 register there is a Dennis Storrs living in Scunthorpe with his wife. His exact date of birth is given ( I'm afraid we can't give information on here.) If that is the correct one and you then buy the death certificate, it should have the date of birth on it so you will know if it is him. As Carole said, I'm afraid there is probably no other way of finding out accept by buying the certificate. The registry office wont give you the information unless you do.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 May 16 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Groom
many thanks yes its the correct dennis 1939 census, and im trying to get the death cert as im almost certain its correct ive sent emails to grimsby registry office about obtaining death certificate,so will have to wait to hear back from them, im  hoping someone can help with finding where hes buried or cremated, any suggestions greatly appreciated, i have tried several grave search sites but nothing comes up.
many thanks
debbie x

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 May 16 22:37 BST (UK) »
and you then buy the death certificate, it should have the date of birth on it

Birthdates only appeared on death certs from 1969
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 May 16 22:51 BST (UK) »
You can get the certificate from the GRO for £9.25. Here are the details you need

Deaths Jun 1967 

Storrs    Dennis    55   
Grimsby    3b   209   

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 May 16 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Groom, Many thanks for the info for getting the death cert i will use the link youve given me, so many thanks.
Debbie x