Author Topic: Finding a grave for my Grandad, Dennis Storrs  (Read 2530 times)

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a grave
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 May 16 18:17 BST (UK) »
H Carolew,
Many thanks for the info on d.o.b  i have his date of birth,so not a problem,im wanting to know where he was living at time of death, who registered his death,and where possible burial/cremation may have been.
Many thanks
Debbie xx
Barnes,Driffill,Altoft,Thompson,Metcalfe,Owbridge,
Houlton,Parker,Barrett,Dowse Wild,Kennan all in and around scunthorpe,winterton,winteringham,burton stather,Paull nr hull, Preston nr hull,caistor,market rasen,middle rasen, Storrs -Scunthorpe,Parrett-Hull,Clark -Tealby, Booth,Calhoun- Driffill-Bradford,Londonderry,Ellerbeck- Kirby Yorks,Stephenson- Yorks,Jowett -Thorne yorks,James.

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 May 16 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi does anyone have any idea how i can find a burial/cremation.
I have tried Find a Grave Site, Search Billion Graves Site,but nothing found on either of these.
Many thanks
Debbie xx
Houlton,Parker,Barrett,Dowse Wild,Kennan all in and around scunthorpe,winterton,winteringham,burton stather,Paull nr hull, Preston nr hull,caistor,market rasen,middle rasen, Storrs -Scunthorpe,Parrett-Hull,Clark -Tealby, Booth,Calhoun- Driffill-Bradford,Londonderry,Ellerbeck- Kirby Yorks,Stephenson- Yorks,Jowett -Thorne yorks,James.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 May 16 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie

Unfortunately the death cert won't show whether he was buried or cremated or where.

Information on Grimsby cemeteries/crematoria here

https://www.nelincs.gov.uk/births-marriages-and-deaths/grimsby-crematorium-cremations-cemeteries/#1455714443842-6f9befd8-d0e4

the council are working with www.deceasedonline.com but he's not listed, they do make a charge if you contact them direct and ask for a search.

Scunthorpe comes under a different council, here's link to that

http://www.northlincs.gov.uk/community-advice-and-support/burials-and-cremation/searching-for-local-graves/

they also charge for look-ups if you can't visit in person

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 May 16 18:51 BST (UK) »
If you get the certificate it should tell you where he died and if that wasn't his usual address should tell you that. It will tell you who registered the death, but that may not be of any help if it wasn't a relative.

Most people were buried or cremated near their home address, unless there were family graves elsewhere, so an address on the certificate may give you an idea of where to start looking.

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 May 16 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi many thanks for your info above i have put  a request in via Grooms link to CRO for death Cert so hopefully i will be able to get the info i need to look for Burial/cremation place, i have emailled both scunthorpe and Grimsby crematoriums as directed by a lunk from dawnsh to see if they can help me.
 I thanks you both for all your help
Many thanks
Debbie xx

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 May 16 21:30 BST (UK) »
Please let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 May 16 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Groom,
many thanks and i have heard form Grimsby Crematorium who hold the records for that area where Dennis died unfortunatly they have no record for him.
So it seems like hes not buried/Cremated in Grimsby where he died.
I will contact Scunthorpe Crematorium to see if they have any record for him been brought home.
Not sure where to go after that if they dont have him either.
many thanks
debbie xxxx

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 May 16 18:19 BST (UK) »
The death certificate might help if that gives his usual address. It's so frustrating when you know that he must have been buried/cremated somewhere isn't it?

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 May 16 18:28 BST (UK) »
The death certificate might help if that gives his usual address. It's so frustrating when you know that he must have been buried/cremated somewhere isn't it?

You could make enquiries at local undertakers, they would have record of dealing with the funeral and be able to tell you where he's buried. I don't know if they would charge for a search though. You'd need the date of death I should think.