Author Topic: Was Thomas Hilder from Sussex?  (Read 3812 times)

Offline harafeld

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Was Thomas Hilder from Sussex?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 10:16 BST (UK) »
Thomas was my great-great grandfather - I have lots of info if it is of interest.  Henry Dowling was in England to recruit "suitable" immigrants for Northern farmers who were, at the time of his departure suffering a severe shortage of skilled labour.  I have only just joined the forum and so evidently can't send a longer "personal" email until I make three posts.  So.....this is number one.  I am reasonably confident that Thomas was born in West Sussex.

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 18:54 BST (UK) »
Most interesting 'harafeld'. Did your Thomas go to Burnie (Emu Bay). I know that a branch of Hilders from Suffolk definitely did go to Tasmania and settled in Bothwell.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 October 16 09:07 BST (UK) »
There were Hilders in Cuckfield in the 1600s but they seem to die out.  In 1851 there are four men and one woman living in Cuckfield but all born elsewhere.

Offline harafeld

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 October 16 09:53 BST (UK) »
My Thomas came first to Launceston (Tasmania) with three of his friends to work for a farmer at Kelso.  In between being recruited and arriving the situation had changed and he was released from his contract.  He then spent some time on the mainland goldfields before buying land at Burnie, returning briefly to Launceston to marry Elizabeth Hayhoe, before travelling there by ship.  It is possible (probable?) that Thomas was an uncle of the Charles Thomas (known as Thomas) Hilder who came to Tassie and settled at Bothwell.  Thomas was probably in transit at the time of the 1841 census.  The ship left in November, but had been delayed (Post 2 - I'm happy to share info but don't want to clutter up the forum with pages of it!)

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 October 16 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Harafeld, This certainly seems to be the Thomas that I have been searching for particularly if he married Elizabeth Hayhoe. I will send you a personal message so as not to clutter up the forum.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.

Offline JoHilderNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 06:17 BST (UK) »
Thomas Hilder who married Elizabeth Hayhoe in Tasmania is my great-great-grandfather.  I'd be keen to get more info about his origins if you have them, esp sources/evidence.

Many thanks,
Jo Hilder
New Zealand

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 13 October 17 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo, It is a long time since we last spoke by email and I wonder if we are getting near the truth or not. Richard seemed certain of the Cockfield, Suffolk connection which would put Thomas on my tree of Hilders. harafeld seems convinced that Thomas should be on his tree of Hilders from Sussex. I tried to send a personal email but he hasn't enough posts for that to operate. (I think it's a minimum of 3)
I do know that the Suffolk Hilders were either dissenters or very close to the dissenters. Edward Hilder 1814-94 (? brother of Thomas) married Mary Ridley. The Ridley's were very strong non-conformists in Bury St Edmunds. The Ridley's and Hilders had adjoining shops in Abbeygate Street, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.
I have also found a Thomas Hilder born 1816 but from Kent!!