Author Topic: Thomas Galten b.?, father of Margaret Galten b.1783  (Read 649 times)

Offline LauraTucker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Galten b.?, father of Margaret Galten b.1783
« on: Saturday 21 May 16 18:59 BST (UK) »
I have hit a stumbling block and wonder if anyone might have some advice.

I have found the father and mother of my husband's 4xgreat-grandmother, Margaret Galten. They are Thomas Galten and Mary Tyrrel of Dewlish, and I believe I have found their other children from the parish records. However, I have not been able to trace back and determine the date of baptism or parents of Thomas.

I have 3 possibilities: one born 1730 to Edward and Elizabeth; one born 1742 to Thomas and Mary; and one born 1746 to William and Frances/Franses.

Is there any way I can work out which one of these might be Margaret's father? As always, your help is very much appreciated.

Laura

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Galten b.?, father of Margaret Galten b.1783
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 May 16 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've found the burials of two Thomas Galtons presumabley one was married to Mary Tyrel and one to Sarah Vivian in 21.4.1767.
Thomas buried 12.6.1785 and
Thomas  buried 18.5 1833 age 94.

Can't see a Will for either but could there be tithe maps etc which could differentiate depending on date.
If you know that one family farmed a certain piece of land and it's occupier,owener changed at a certain date 1785 or 1833 you could work it out.
Deaths for Mary and Sarah don't help as neither are buried as widow or wife of Thomas.

If I had to guess I'd go with Thomas and Mary senior as they have  daughters Margraet baptised 21.1.1738,Grace 30.8.1735 and Lucy 23.9.1750 which match children of Thomas and Mary junior.

I think the one in 1730 is a bit old to be marrying for the first time at 36.

Ciderdrinker

Offline LauraTucker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Galten b.?, father of Margaret Galten b.1783
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 May 16 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker, thanks for your reply - I think I might be inclined to agree with you regarding which parents are Thomas', as names do seem to be 'handed down' through families, don't they?

I shall have a look and see what I can find regarding farmland and maps etc - thanks for the suggestion, it's very helpful!

Laura