Author Topic: Thomas Williams and Mary Russell  (Read 667 times)

Offline kallie50

• RootsChat Member
  • ready for bed
    • View Profile
Thomas Williams and Mary Russell
« on: Sunday 22 May 16 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone - I have traced my 3 x great grandfather, Thomas Williams back to Dorset England. Information from death certificate of my 2 x gg father shows he was born in Hull, Yorkshire, parents Thomas Williams and Mary Russell. 1841 census confirms this and shows he was the youngest of several children all who were born in Dorset. Further searches show eldest children of Thomas and Mary were all born in Wyke Regis and some in fact married there. Occupation for Thomas is HM Customs so probably reason he went to Hull. I have searched as many records as I can find for Dorset however unable to find any marriage details for Thomas and Mary. I found one possibility - marriage banns 2 Nov 1814 Wyke Regis - however this shows surname for Mary as 'Harriss'. Further research shows marriage banns in the area for others with brides surnames as 'Harriss/Russel so not sure if there is possible hint there. I have found 2 possible birth records for Thomas both at Melcombe Regis, 7/10/1790 & 27/12/1991. Just not sure where to go from here. Any tips/advice is very much appreciated.
Regards
Lynne
Northumberland:  Mather, Walton, Hogg, Pearson
Wiltshire, Hampshire, Berkshire: Noyes, Howard, Partridge

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Williams and Mary Russell
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 May 16 00:46 BST (UK) »
Hi the 1841 you have located, if I am looking at the correct one has the youngest child as being a William Williams aged 10 months b Yorkshire, all others in family shown as Not born in County, but this does not mean that they were all b Dorset (Although I expect your findings are correct) just not born in Yorkshire?
Census Ref HO107/1230/ 1/22/ 26

If the 1841 above is correct then Thomas aged 60 b Weymouth, Dorset has remarried to what appears to be an Elizabeth Dickinson aged 52 b Whitby, Yorkshire in 1851 census.
Census Ref HO107/2363/828/1

EDIT Thomas Williams to Elizabeth Dickinson 8th April 1848 Salem Chapel, Cogan Street, Kingston upon Hull
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kallie50

• RootsChat Member
  • ready for bed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 May 16 01:08 BST (UK) »
Hello - I did further research and found the other children were baptised in Wyke Regis.  1851 census does show that Thomas is still living in Hull and with second wife Elizabeth and her two sons as well as his 10 year old son, William (my 2 x xggrandfather).  It also shows Thomas was born in Weymouth, Dorset. Thomas first wife Mary died Dec 1847 and apparently Thomas married Elizabeth in 1848
Northumberland:  Mather, Walton, Hogg, Pearson
Wiltshire, Hampshire, Berkshire: Noyes, Howard, Partridge

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 May 16 01:47 BST (UK) »
Hi again, it is odd re the potential marriage by Banns 2nd November 1814 Wyke Regis showing Mary as surname Harriss a Spinster, as I note the two witnesses were a Mary Williams and a William Russell?
Keyboard86

EDIT I see that you have already received all and more of the above information on an earlier thread?

The only thing I could not spot was burial of Mary:-

Mary Williams b c 1792 Burial 12th December 1847 St James's Parish of Holy Trinity, Kingston upon Hull.
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk