Author Topic: James/ Jane/ Mary Dailly 1881 - 1891  (Read 2538 times)

Offline Masaoka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James/ Jane/ Mary Dailly 1881 - 1891
« on: Sunday 22 May 16 01:05 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am in Australia trying to find my great grandmother and her brother and mother.

I believe she is Jane Dailly b1880 to Mary and James Dailly. She has a brother James Dailly who also came to Western Australia.

The census records show that in 1881 there was a James and Mary Dailly living in George St, Wallacetown and had 3 children - James (6), Margaret (3) and Jane (1) and a step son John Moore (9).

In the 1891 census there is no record of any of them other than John Moore who is living with the Moore family (presumably Mary's family). So I thought perhaps Mary, James and Jane left for Australia.
The problem is though that Mary remarries in Australia and has 3 more children, the last Margaret Simpson being born in 1904 which makes her about 51 at the time. Could her age be wrong on the census? It is conveniently the same as her husband.

So, if this is not the correct Mary/ James/ Jane trio - where are they?

On Margaret's birth cert it says that Mary's maiden name is Kerr.

I have a record of a Mary Kerr who is 9 in 1871. She is daughter to Mark and Elizabeth Kerr. The family tree matches have her as my great great grandmother but I cannot find any connection to her and James Dailly senior or when James and Jane (who uses Jean) were born.

I also cannot find when they immigrated to Australia. I know Jane was born about 1880, Ayrshire and her mother Mary remarries in 1896 in Fremantle, WA. James also has records in Australia that state he was born in Ayrshire around 1875.

Phew! If anyone has any clues to this mystery, I would be most grateful.

Rochelle Masaoka (nee Wilks -McGregor-Dailly)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James/ Jane/ Mary Dailly 1881 - 1891
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 May 16 06:41 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat have you tried www.scotlandspeople.gov for a birth for your Jane ..going by the information you gave in the 1881 census for the John Moore I see the mother is Mary Ann Dailly ...There is a birth for a John Moore 4/1/1872 Ayr mother Mary Ann Moore ...There is a marriage for a Mary Moore 19/12/1874 Ayr to a James Dailly so unless she was married before her maiden name was not Kerr
Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 May 16 07:34 BST (UK) »
Would this be her brother in the Western Australia Railway records 1899 gives his birth date as 14/6/1875 which will be easy to find on www.scotlandpeople.gov
Rosie

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 May 16 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi  and welcome to Rootschat Masoaka

The marriage between James Dailly and Mary Moore in 1874 -
Mary Moore is recorded as being a spinster aged 23 and a Domestic Servant. Her address is Content Street, St Quivox. Her father is James Moore dec'd  a Tailor and her mother Margaret Moore m.s. Malcolmson dec'd.

James Dailly is recorded as being a bachelor aged 21 and a Hotel Waiter. His address is Wallace Street, St Quivox. His father is James Dailly, a Tailor and his mother Margaret Dailly m.s. Colvin.

No Kerr I'm afraid. Looks like Mary (Ann) Moore was unmarried when she gave birth to John in 1872.

If Mary Moore/Dailly was 23 in 1874 that would make her 53 in 1904 at the time of birth of Margaret Simpson :/   Seems pretty old although maybe not entirely impossible. I have an ancestor who has her last baby at age 51.

Looby :)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 May 16 13:10 BST (UK) »
Very good of you Looby to get the marriage ..just as I thought no maiden name Kerr wondering if this is a different family ..Did notice on the other births in Australia the mothers name listed  Kerr you might be better to get a copy of the mother's marriage in Australia 1896'to see what it says
Rosie

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 May 16 13:20 BST (UK) »
Very good of you Looby to get the marriage ..just as I thought no maiden name Kerr wondering if this is a different family ..Did notice on the other births in Australia the mothers name listed  Kerr you might be better to get a copy of the mother's marriage in Australia 1896'to see what it says
Rosie

Had a few credits left over from my last personal research  :)
Everyone so helpful on this site that I don't mind using a few from time to time to help out.

Looby :)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 May 16 13:27 BST (UK) »
Is this your great grandmother Jeane Dailly married Henry McGregor 1903 Kalgoorlie Australia ?
Death Jane McGregor birth year 1880 died 1958 age 80 Western Australia
Father James C
Mother Mary
Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 May 16 13:43 BST (UK) »
We seem to be on the right family apart from the Kerr name  ???
Death 1893 Fitzroy Victoria Jas Colvin Dailly age 40
Father Has
Mother Margt Colvin

Birth for James Dailly 17 February 1853 Ayr baptism 1st August
Parents James Dailly Margaret Colvin
Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 May 16 14:03 BST (UK) »