Author Topic: James/ Jane/ Mary Dailly 1881 - 1891  (Read 2540 times)

Offline Masaoka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James/ Jane/ Mary Dailly 1881 - 1891
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 May 16 14:37 BST (UK) »
Looby and Rosie - thank you so much!! I am so grateful for your curiosity and generosity!

It seems the more information you have, the more questions.

I know there is another Mary Dailly (my James Dailly's youngest sister) who was the child of James and Margaret born about 1875. In the 1891 census I found James senior was living with Mary 16 years old - just the two of them in Main Street but their parish had changed to Newton on Ayr. Perhaps your last post Rosie is the death certificate for that Mary Dailly? Poor James senior seems to have been left by himself.

James Dailly jnr married Nicolos Gordon and had 4 children. Sadly Robert died but his other son James (another one!) was named, James Colvin - perhaps as a memory of his heritage? Or was Colvin a common name?

I will dig a little further. I am so overwhelmed at your speedy replies! Thank you so much.  :)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 May 16 15:16 BST (UK) »
Looby and Rosie - thank you so much!! I am so grateful for your curiosity and generosity!

It seems the more information you have, the more questions.

I know there is another Mary Dailly (my James Dailly's youngest sister) who was the child of James and Margaret born about 1875. In the 1891 census I found James senior was living with Mary 16 years old - just the two of them in Main Street but their parish had changed to Newton on Ayr. Perhaps your last post Rosie is the death certificate for that Mary Dailly? Poor James senior seems to have been left by himself.

James Dailly jnr married Nicolos Gordon and had 4 children. Sadly Robert died but his other son James (another one!) was named, James Colvin - perhaps as a memory of his heritage? Or was Colvin a common name?

I will dig a little further. I am so overwhelmed at your speedy replies! Thank you so much.  :)

Sorry have amended my last post did not notice the name was wrong that death was for Margaret Dailly still not seeing an immigration record
Rosie

Offline Masaoka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 May 16 15:23 BST (UK) »
Its the wrong family :( :'(

I have been busy in ScotlandsPeople and just found the death certificate for Mary Ann Dailly on 15 April 1885. So Mary Ann Dailly nee Moore did not disappear to Western Australia. She died in Ayr. So all those children were left without a mother. I wonder what happened to them. But they aren't my Daillys anymore.

So disappointing. So I'm back to my original search for Mary Kerr to marry Dailly and have James and Jane. There is a Mary Kerr also in Ayr. So I will see what I can find about her.

Thank you so much.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 May 16 15:31 BST (UK) »
Have you had a look to see if there is a marriage in Ayr for James Dailly and a Mary Kerr ? After the death of his first wife ....The family in the 1881 census has definitely found there way to Australia
Rosie

Offline Masaoka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 May 16 16:02 BST (UK) »
Yes Rosie!
So Mary Ann died in April 1885 and in September 25th the same year, he married Mary Kerr who was a domestic servant!
Oh my goodness! And, I suspect this is why my Grandmother never really talked about her mother. Because the mother she lived with in Western Australia, was actually her step mother. WOW!

So fascinating! It is 1am and I should be in bed but I'm so excited! Now to find out what happened to James Dailly senior.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 May 16 16:11 BST (UK) »
I somehow thought you would find a marriage Is this the death for Mary Simpson  /Kerr Fremantle 1920 gives her a birth year of 1861 ..Was her parents Mark Nugent Kerr and Elizabeth Harris from the marriage certificate
Rosie

Offline Masaoka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 May 16 16:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you! I had assumed James and Jane's mother was Mary Kerr, which led me a little astray.

James and Mary Kerr had a baby on board their immigration to Australia aboard the Elderslie in 1886! Unfortunately the ship was struck with Scarlet Fever and it might spell disaster for baby Mary (yes, they named her Mary) and father James. There are no WA records of their deaths that I can find yet.

Thank you for the information on the marriage cert. I couldn't figure out how the pieces all fit together. Thank you!

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 May 16 20:40 BST (UK) »
Birth Mary Holdsworth Dailly b 25/12/1886 birth place Merchant Marine at sea
UK Register  B M D at sea Mary Honldworth died 28/12/86 father James Dailly Mother Mary Kerr
Rosie

Offline Masaoka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 May 16 01:50 BST (UK) »
Oh how heart breaking for Mary. I thought it would be impossible to have a baby born at sea during a scarlet fever outbreak and for her to survive. How tough Mary must have been to survive the birth and then the quarantine through her grief. Thank you Rosie, I really appreciate your interest and help.