Author Topic: McKenzie of Howden?!  (Read 2893 times)

Offline scatchardfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
McKenzie of Howden?!
« on: Sunday 22 May 16 23:59 BST (UK) »
Dear all

I have traced back to my GGG Grandmother, born Margaret Carr (b. Dec 1828 Blacktoft), whose second husband was called William McKenzie. These two married on 2 Dec 1848 in Howden and William died in Sep 1852. He was the son of John McKenzie.

That's all I know about this McKenzie family. I am wondering where on earth they popped up from? Can anybody know? I have no experience of Scots genealogy so would not know where to take this from here, if that is what we are dealing with...

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McKenzie of Howden?!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 May 16 14:34 BST (UK) »
A couple of thoughts on this:

First, 20 seemed quite young to me for a second marriage, though not impossible, and on looking at the register image, I see Margaret is recorded as a spinster, and her father has the same surname. Also, the register gives her a being of full age (21 or over), so are you sure you have the right birth?

As for William, what does the 1851 census say about his place of birth? And 1841 if you can trace that? Ages will also be important. I see he's a blacksmith, which is a fairly settled occupation, but his father was a sailor. One possible scenario is that McKenzie senior came from Scotland and worked up and down the east coast, eventually settling in Yorkshire, but you'd have to see if you can find him in any Yorkshire records. An alternative is that William was born in Scotland and decided to move to Yorkshire - but the census should help to answer that.

There are lots of possibilities in all of this, so it's important to work steadily backwards, and find out as much as you possibly can in Yorkshire/England before launching into Scottish records.

For what it's worth, I have found a MacKenzie in another part of Yorkshire, some years earlier than this. He was born in Falkirk, spent 20+ years in the Royal Horse Artillery, then became a servant to a clergyman in Yorkshire, where he met and married my relative.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scatchardfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 May 16 14:56 BST (UK) »
Many thanks indeed. I have Margaret Carr as bapt Blacktoft 16 Dec 1828. The 1851 gives her age as 23. She is recorded as a spinster on her marriage to William McKenzie because her two prior children (Faith and Hope) appear to have been born out of wedlock.

I cannot find Margaret in the 1841 census so perhaps someone can help?

I shall now try to find William McKenzie working backwards...

Offline scatchardfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 23:30 BST (UK) »
Erm, not having any success here. Anyone care to help?

Offline LisaRobinson87

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 23:50 BST (UK) »
I've had a look for Margaret and also can't seem to find her
Rogers-Buckinghamshire
Pitwell- Buckinghamshire
Fisher- Middlesbrough
Robinson-Middlesbrough
Foxton - Yorkshire
Carruthers - Scotland
Gibson - Northumberland

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 May 16 00:01 BST (UK) »
I keep going back to the William McKenzie aged 25 born Beverley, Yorkshire who was a prisoner in Nether Nutsford, Cheshire in  1851 census (OK I know it states he was unmarried) .  His occupation was a Last Maker.   Now, lasts were made in wood and also cast iron, which leads me to his occupation of Blacksmith on his marriage.  I just can`t get a handle on him before or after.   What was his occupation on his death certificate as his death in 1852 appears to have been registered in the district  of Beverley which seems quite a coincidence.

Mo
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 May 16 21:50 BST (UK) »
A tree on Ancestry has William as the Beverley-born man as posted by mosiefish.
It also points out that the 1851 census entry has a tick in the last column - whether blind or deaf-and-dumb.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 May 16 21:56 BST (UK) »
This William is Hull not Beverley?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J7Q3-R8Z

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 May 16 22:49 BST (UK) »
It also points out that the 1851 census entry has a tick in the last column - whether blind or deaf-and-dumb.
These ticks were added at a later date when the information from the census was being collated - In this case they were adding all the people up that weren`t born in the County.

Mo
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)