Author Topic: Appleyard, Tullamore birth.  (Read 1550 times)

Offline RobinSmith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Appleyard, Tullamore birth.
« on: Monday 23 May 16 14:43 BST (UK) »
My ancestor Thomas APPLEYARD was born at Tullamore, about 1800.
I have been unable to find any information about his baptism. I would like some help, please.

Robin.
Smith, Hassell, Gould, Appleyard, Bolding, Booton Simmons WORCS. Pountney, STAFFS. 10th. Hussars 1821-1831

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Appleyard, Tullamore birth.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 July 16 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

Do you know Thomas Appleyard's religion, or have any further details?

Cheers

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 July 16 17:42 BST (UK) »
Reading through your other topics to see if there's more details pertaining to this request has left me very puzzled. My ancestor Thomas APPLEYARD was born at Tullamore, about 1800.

Trying to trace the birth record of Thomas APPLEYARD s/o James APPLEYARD, musician (army?) and Sarah at Cahir c 1823. ...

My ancestor, James Appleyard, was in Caher, Tipperary in 1823, as his son, Thomas was born there. ...

Thomas APPLEYARD, (b. Tipperary, 1823) a son of my ancestor James APPLEYARD, ...

Thank you for your response.
There was also a Thomas Appleyard born about 1800 at Tullamore. I've posted another request for this one. James and Thomas were probably brothers. They served alongside each other in the 18th. Dragoons and later in the 10th. Hussars. Maybe their births were recorded in the army chaplains returns.

So, is "Thomas Appleyard born about 1800 at Tullamore" actually your ancestor or just a possible relative?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline RobinSmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 July 16 15:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your interest.  James Appleyard, born c.1794 in Wicklow, is my 3x gt grandfather.
Thomas Appleyard, born c 1800 at Tullamore was almost certainly his kin - probably his brother or maybe his cousin. They both enlisted in the 10th. Hussars at the Brighton HQ in December 1821 and stayed together until they were both discharged in 1831. Both are described in the 10th Hussars Muster Rolls as musicians.
James's son, Thomas, was born and baptised in 1823, in Ireland, while James and his brother (?) Thomas were in Cahir. Full details of the batism are on my old laptop and I haven't the time to retrieve them at the moment. Thomas snr. was present at baby Thomas's baptism. Interestingly, James and baby Thomas's mother, Sarah Bolding, were married just after the baptism!
This was pretty much all I knew about them until a couple of months ago, when browsing on Ancesrty, I found James and Thomas on the roll of the 18th Hussars in 1830. Ages matched and so did their description as musicians. The attestation revealed that James was born in Wicklow and Thomas in Tullamore. This was the first I knew of their birth places. I thought that this information might lead me to their birth and the name(s) of their father(s). They were discharged in 1831 when the 18th was disbanded in Ireland and they transferred to the 10th. in Brighton. Both had enlisted in the 18th Hussars at Cork in 1830.
The last record I have of my 3x gt gf James Appleyard, was the baptism of his 2nd daughter in Redditch, Worcestershire, where his occupation was given as Trumpeter. He hadn't re-enlisted in the 10th Hussars so may have enlisted in another cavalry regiment. James died before 1843, when his wife, Sarah re-married.
I have a hunch that their father may have been a soldier. Appleyard appears to be a Yorkshire name.
Smith, Hassell, Gould, Appleyard, Bolding, Booton Simmons WORCS. Pountney, STAFFS. 10th. Hussars 1821-1831

Offline RobinSmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 July 16 20:06 BST (UK) »
Correction
James & Thomas Appleyard enlisted in the 18th. Hussars at Cork in 1820 (not 1830) They transferred to the 10th. Hussars at Brighton in December 1821 when the 18th. were disbanded in Ireland.