Author Topic: Looking for information on James Sloan, born Bray, Co. Wicklow, Ireland in 1846  (Read 4915 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information on James Sloan, born Bray, Co. Wicklow, Ireland in 1846
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 14:04 BST (UK) »
this site suggests that Peter Dewar's wife was Margaret Martin POLLACK
https://www.myheritage.com/names/margaret_dewar

Marriage
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTYX-X42

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Bill Sloan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information on James Sloan, born Bray, Co. Wicklow, Ireland in 1846
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi dathai - I have looked at the document links you provided and I think they all make sense. The pieces seem to fit together. My thanks. It seems as if you have made the link to "Watt" as being Margaret Sloan's maiden name. I will be following Sinann's suggestion to obtain hard copies of the civil registrar documents both of you were able to locate.  BallyaltikilliganG seems to have found a couple of possibilities for Margaret's origins in Scotland. I was amazed that you were able to locate gravestone records for James and Margaret. It was rather touching to see that detail. James' birth record still seems elusive, though BallyaltikilliganG had some suggestions to follow. I found the amount of detailed information about Margaret Martin Dewar at the MyHeritage site stunning. I was aware of the birth and short life of William Wilson Dewar. I had actually located a pdf of his 1890 baptism record (St. Thomas Church, in the Parish of St. Thomas, in the Diocese of Dublin); the lower part of the record page appears charred. From the 1911 census record I could see that Peter Dewar and his wife had 11 children, only 8 of whom were still alive in 1911.  I think that says a great deal about the challenges of life during that time period. Best regards.

Offline Bill Sloan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hello again dathai - again, my thanks. You are obviously very adept at sifting through historical and genealogical records!  The Abraham and Frances Pratt information all makes sense (though I have yet to look through the less close Abraham Pratt matches in FamilySearch - but the primary ones tied together well - and pushed things back along this lineage as well.  I have found some interesting information in the Griffith's Valuation records from County Cavan that refers to an Abraham Pratt (and a John as well - probably the son), as well as Irish Petty Court Session records (looks to be over rent issues - quite a number of these records over a number of years - both as a plaintiff and a defendant), plus Ireland Dog License Registers records. I also found an Ireland National Schools Record transcription record for a Francis Pratt (FrancIS), born 1872, registered for school in 1878 (at age 6), from County Cavan, father a farmer, religion "established church" - that may be another child of Abraham and FrancES Pratt, though I don't recall seeing a FrancIS, though the FamilySearch records indicates a FrancIS, both April  25, 1873. Probably her.

Offline Bill Sloan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi dathai - Meant to ask you in my last post if you could recommend a good family tree utility that would help me organize and connect (an ideally link to pdf's of documents) better organize the wealth of family history information that is accumulating. It is becoming a bit overwhelming...

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 17:07 BST (UK) »
Sorry i am not too good at keeping records myself but others reading this may advise you on the subject of producing a family tree.

spanner in the works which i had not noticed earlier
Frances Jane McIlroy nee Pratt on both census says born England so better to wait and get marriage cert to see who her father was that is of course if you think i have found the right marriage.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Pottinger__part_of_/Epworth_Street/220978/

Offline Bill Sloan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 18:00 BST (UK) »
Right, I looked back at the 1901 census and also see that she is listed as being born in England - strange as all of the other family members were born in County Down. That's unfortunate - it was all fitting together so nicely! Why would that have been the case, I wonder - seems odd. I also see that there is a bit of a discrepancy in age. In the 1901 census Frances is listed as being 30, which would have had her born in 1871; however the Frances born in Cavan is identified as being born in 1873.  Dates of births do seem to have a bit of wiggle room in the records though.  I certainly thought the connection through Abraham and Frances Pratt seemed reasonable (right geographic area, right location for their marriage, right occupation for Abraham, etc.) and the data around the daughter seemed reasonable (the date of birth seemed reasonable given the date of the parents' marriage and the dates and locations of the other siblings births, geographic area). It's a head scratcher. I am going to try and set up a Skype call with an uncle in Belfast (I was born in Belfast, but emigrated to Canada with my parents when I was a child); their mother was May McIlroy, a daughter of John McIlroy and Frances Pratt. Perhaps he will recall a family story about his grandmother's place of birth. He may have some documents. Otherwise I guess I will order a copy of the marriage certificate to sort this out, as you suggest. I will also search the records for a Frances born in Britain around that time period.  Thanks again for your efforts.

Offline Bill Sloan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 28 May 16 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hello dathai:

I was in touch with a cousin in Belfast who had a copy of the wedding certificate for John McIlroy and Frances Pratt.  They were married in Belfast in 1881. According to the wedding certificate, Frances' father's name was William - not Abraham unfortunately - with the occupation of Land Steward. One of the witnesses was a Kathleen Pratt (her mother or sister perhaps). The wedding certificate also indicates that John McIlroy was 27 and a widower.  I haven't tried to locate a birth record or record of an earlier marriage for John McIlroy as yet.

As Frances McIlroy (nee Pratt) was 30 on the 1901 Irish census, she would have been born around 1871 +/-. As she was apparently born in England, I searched the British 1871 census records for a female child born around that time, with a father (head of household) William and perhaps a mother or sister Kathleen.  The ONLY child I found in the British 1871 census whose age was close, was a Frances Pratt (10 months at the time of the census) who was living with a Jesse Pratt (lodger, 33, born Sussex) and Ellen Pratt (daughter, 17, born Kent). Frances is listed as a granddaughter (born Kent). They were living at Brook House, Edensbridge, Sevenoaks, Kent, at the time.

I think I found the family again in the British 1881 census records living in Sor Yals, Marsh Green, Edensbridge, Sevenoaks, Kent - though now Jesse Pratt(S) is apparently married to Ellen and they have a daughter Frances (10) and a daughter Mary Anne (8). The parents ages differ slightly from those in the 1871 census. I don`t know what to make of all that.

I checked the Irish 1901 census records in case the Pratt family had emigrated to Ireland in the late 1800s (around the time of the 1891 marriage of John and Frances), but I couldn't find a Jesse, an Ellen, a Kathleen or a William Pratt in the Irish 1901 census whose age or place of birth  made sense (assuming it would have been England as well).

So I am a bit stumped about the family of origin of Frances and William Pratt.  Any suggestions?

Bill

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile