Author Topic: James McKeddie Mystery  (Read 4073 times)

Offline Famtreebuilder

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James McKeddie Mystery
« on: Wednesday 25 May 16 02:00 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find information on a man named James Matthew McKeddie. According to the only two census returns I have for him he was born c1857 in Edinburgh, Scotland but I can find no birth to match him.  I also can't find him on the UK census in 1861, 1871, 1881 or 1891.  In 1885 he married Jessie McKellar in Bridgeton, Glasgow, Scotland and they had two children (Margaret Moyies McKeddie born 1886 in Bridgeton and named after Jessie's mother and Archibald Leitch McKellar McKeddie born 1888 in St Rollox, Glasgow).  His wife Jessie then died in 1889 and son Archibald is on the 1891 census as an "orphan" while Maggie is elsewhere as a 5-year-old "boarder".  I can't see any obvious family connection with the people they are staying with and there's no sign of their father James. 

He re-married to a Jane Kennovin in 1891 in Old Monkland and they had at least 4 children (Neil in 1891, Jane in 1892, Mary Ann in 1894 and Agnes Jemima in 1899 all born in Coatbridge).  The first census I have the family on is the 1901 census - James, Jane, Archibald, Jane, Mary Ann and Agnes are together and Neil and Maggie are elsewhere living with Jane's sister. 

James died in Glasgow in 1924 and his parents' names are given as John McKeddie (glass blower) and Mary Ann Dunn on his death certificate.  This is consistent with his marriage to Jessie in 1885 although Mary Ann's name was given as just Ann.  His occupation was given as "formerly regimental bandmaster" so I presume he was in the Army and this may explain some of his absences on the census but I can't find any information on this.

I can't find a marriage for or any other children registered to a John McKeddie and Mary Ann Dunn so they're currently a brick wall.  Several of James' children ended up out in Canada and his son Archibald went to visit an aunt named "Jessie Rae" in Newburgh, New York in 1919 but I've not been able to work out how she fits in yet either.  As I don't know which country I need to be looking in and can't find anything in Scotland for John and Mary Ann or James' early life I've put this in Common Room.  I'd be grateful for any help to work this out and take these lines further back.  Thanks.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James McKeddie Mystery
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 11:06 BST (UK) »
1891 - Burnbank Street Coatbridge
James McKeadie, lodger, widower, 33, musician, born Edinburgh

Can't see anything else though....

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 11:25 BST (UK) »

Has the KEDDIE family in Edinburgh been ruled out ? They do have a son James bn 1857 with them in census to 1881 that I can see

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Famtreebuilder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 12:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the 1891 census Jo - I really couldn't see the wood for the trees on that one but that's definitely him! 

Yes Claire I've had a look at the Keddie family but I really don't think they connect - James was born in 1856 to parents John Keddie and Margaret Manson.  The father is always said to be a joiner and the son James becomes a joiner too by 1881.  I'm sure I've found him still on the census in Edinburgh in 1891 and 1901 married to a Mary and described as a "wood carver".  Thanks for the help.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 May 16 14:34 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the Jane Miller that Archibald was with in 1891 subsequently became Jessie Rae.  I have seen Jessie as a nickname for Jane/Janet.  The 1919 border crossing that has him going to Jessie Rae indicates that he was in Newburgh, New York previously. 

This 1913 passenger list says on the second page that he was going to cousin Thos. Moore, 31 Lutheran St., Newburgh.  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:23X8-57G  This Thomas Moore lived at that address -

1910 - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MP1L-LGC
1920 - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MV9N-9XB
1930 - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X4TS-SB9
1940 - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K7M5-KVW

Offline Marigold77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 May 16 15:02 BST (UK) »
Could the Jessie Rae in Canada be an aunt to James's first wife?

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 May 16 15:36 BST (UK) »
The Thomas Moore at 31 Lutheran, Newburgh had a brother named John who joined a Scottish regiment during WWI and died circa Sept. 1915 - https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/16020258/  You can sort of see the text of the article without paying if you scroll to the bottom.

Offline Famtreebuilder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 May 16 16:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot Shellyesq for having a look at Thomas Moore - I spotted his name on the 1913 Passenger List but forgot to investigate it. 

I've done a bit more digging and it's actually his wife Isabella that's the link.  As Isabella was listed as Scottish on the census returns I thought I'd follow her and see what that turned up.  I found that Thomas Moore married Isabella Dollar Fleming in Glasgow in 1909 just before they emigrated and had their 2 daughters in the US (I got Isabella's maiden name from their social security application).  Thomas' parents were William Moore and Mary Crawford and Isabella's were Samuel Fleming and Margaret McKellar (Archibald's mother Jessie McKellar's sister of course).  So Isabella Moore (MS Fleming) was indeed Archibald's first cousin.  It doesn't bring me any further forward with the McKeddie mystery but a nice McKellar addition nonetheless (most of the McKellar clan emigrated to Australia).  Thanks again!

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 May 16 16:53 BST (UK) »
You're welcome.  The newspaper article that references John Moore's death also says Samuel Fleming, the brother of Mrs. Moore, died and another brother Duncan Fleming was missing in the war.