Author Topic: Marie Elizabeth MORROW  (Read 949 times)

Offline wildcats13

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marie Elizabeth MORROW
« on: Wednesday 25 May 16 05:40 BST (UK) »
I have a situation where Maree, a cousin of my wife, is looking for her birth mother as she was adopted out just after birth. She paid someone to do a search, cost a lot of money with no result, and was told that her file was missing or been destroyed. I said I would see if I could assist and she said that she was told by her life mother before she died, that she was born on 2 July 1956 as Nicole Ann Morrow at Darlinghurst in Sydney and that her birth mother was very young and named Marie Morrow.
I started searching and the only Marie Morrow I could find was a Marie Elizabeth Morrow, born 8 November 1939, which if she is the mother, would have been about 17 at the time. She was likely a student nurse at the time as I found in the 1958-1962 Electoral Rolls she was living at the RPA Hospital. The fact that she was living at the hospital, might indicate that she was from a country town instead of the city. In October 1962 she married a William Foster Thompson in Sydney. He was a Medical Practitioner. From 1968 on, they were living in Wagga Wagga, NSW and had six children. Marie died on 20 November 2004 and William died in 2013, both in Wagga Wagga.
I also need to say that my grandmother on my mother's side was a Morrow and I am interested, apart from the above, in seeing if there is a connection. However the information I found on Ancestry.com showed that Marie's parent's were unknown. I am unable to source her Birth & Death certificates because of the time frames. I have searched Trove for any newspaper articles without success.
Would love to see if we can confirm of delete Marie Elizabeth Morrow as the birth mother, and to investigate further who her parents were. Hoping someone can assist.

Regards,
Peter

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Marie Elizabeth MORROW
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 06:18 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Your wife's cousin should be able to access information about her birth, and perhaps the following live links may be helpful.

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/indexes-to-education-and-child-welfare-records/where-to-find-adoption-records  and

http://www.community.nsw.gov.au/parents,-carers-and-families/fostering,-guardianship-and-adoption/adoption/past-adoptions

The NSW BDM restricts access to death registrationss where they occurred less than 30 years ago, but the registration exists and is available under some circumstances.  Perhaps your wife's cousin may check these circumstances   NSW BDM information :   http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/deaths/death-certificate.aspx

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 06:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Any member of the general public can purchase the 1962 marriage certificate (or an official transcription of it).  The marriage was registered in the Ryde district.   It would give you quality information about where the bride was born, her age at marriage, her occupation, her parents' names and occupation, noting if either were deceased) and her mum's nee (and any other) surnames.  (Same depth of info for groom)  :)

Here's NSW BDM list of their official transcribers: (cheaper, quicker, comes as email attachment)
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx#transcription

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 07:03 BST (UK) »
You mentioned Trove, and no success with any newspaper articles. 

Ryerson Index has five entries for the Nov 2004 death/funeral for Marie Elizabeth THOMPSON.  Four are for NSW newspapers, and the fifth is for the Hobart Mercury of 23 Nov 2004.  Perhaps there is a Tasmania link for your wife’s cousin?

http://www.ryersonindex.org/

Wagga newspaper : http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/contact/

SMH notice for 22 January 2013  : 
http://tributes.smh.com.au/obituaries/smh-au/obituary.aspx?n=william-thompson-bill&pid=162538825

Perhaps some of the living family may have some knowledge to share?  There is a contact number for funeral information in the SMH notice.  Perhaps the Funeral Director's files may have further contact details/information re either Dr Bill or his wife. 

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 07:40 BST (UK) »
Crown Street Women’s Hospital was located Surry Hills.   Darlinghurst is an adjoining suburb.   .

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/archives-in-brief/archives-in-brief-88

I should also mention that your wife’s cousin may be interesting in the following website.

https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE00446.   

Cheers,  JM

Offline wildcats13

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 May 16 07:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for everyone's input so far. For some reason, I could not access Ryerson Index when I started on this, but everything seems to be okay now. We are following up on your suggestions and Maree will make contact with the NSW Govt. to pursue her adoption file further.
We are reluctant to contact the descendants of Marie Elizabeth Morrow at this stage, as she may not be the correct birth mother, and also as she had Maree six years before she married William, they may not even know about the adoption.
We will continue to search for the answers and will advise if successful.

Peter

Offline wildcats13

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 June 16 14:42 BST (UK) »
I recently found out after receiving some extra adoption papers, that Maree's mother was actually aged 27 and was born in Wagin in Western Australia, and the baby was born in the St Margaret's Hospital in Darlinghurst in Sydney.
I have tried checking records in WA without success and have made a contact in Wagin to see if there are any records of the Morrow family. There was a small hospital there at the time of the birth, but no longer.They will do some checking and get back to me, but it is bit of a long shot.
Have tried the various states to see if a Marie Morrow married, but the only one found was the one previously mentioned. I did however ring and talked to her daughter in connection with my Morrow family background, to find out where her mother was born and she said that it was in Hornsby, Sydney.
Not sure where I go from here, except wait and see what comes from Wagin if at all. Thanks again for your assistance so far as Maree appears desperate to find her birth mother. I think it could be for health reasons. She is going to make another effort to find her file from the Govt.

Peter