Author Topic: Windus/Gilbert of the Isle of Wight  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Toban

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Windus/Gilbert of the Isle of Wight
« on: Wednesday 25 May 16 05:56 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I'm looking for the family of George Windus & Mary Gilbert who were married at Newchurch, IoW on 9 Oct 1799. They had five children on the island (George, 1801; Harriet, 1804; Barnabus, 1805; Barnabus 1806; John, 1809) before they moved to Otterbourne in 'mainland' Hampshire where three more children followed (Mary Ann, 1812; William, 1816; and Ann, 1822). I know what happened to the eldest children, but not the youngest two - William & Ann.

William has been traced through the censuses to 1871, but then is lost (he lived in Otterbourne as a single man and is in the lunatic asylum, Fareham, in 1871 census). Haven't been able to find a record of his death.

Never found any indication of what happened to Ann.

I'm also looking for George & Mary's parents.
I suspect George's parents are Winnington Windus (who I want to claim just because of his name!) and Elizabeth Terrey who married in Brockenhurst in 1757.
Mary's parents I'm less certain of. I think they might be James & Mary Gilbert of Calbourne. This is because they had a son baptised Barnaby in 1780, and a rare name like that is a bit unlikely to pop up in both Gilbert and Windus families in close proximity to each other without a connection. James Gilbert of Calbourne left a will when he died in 1807 - if this is Mary's possible father, it may confirm my theory.

Many thanks in advance,

Toban

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Windus/Gilbert of the Isle of Wight
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 15:24 BST (UK) »

Hi,

If you think that the William W W in 1871 is your William WINDUS it gives his age as 65 so I wonder if this is his death.

William WINDLASS    Dec Q 1875    Fareham    2b  330

I found this record which shows him as 56 in 1862,

Knowle Hospital Fareham
Order for the reception of a pauper patient: William Windlass, age 56, of Otterbourne

http://calm.hants.gov.uk/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=94048%2fB%2f6%2f1641&pos=1

The age is out for all these records but maybe the asylum just guessed his age or he didn't know how old he was  :-\

He does seem to change his age by more than 10 years in each census.

1841   25
1851   38
1861   54

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Toban

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisy,

Thank you! I think you've solved what happened to William. I agree that the asylum probably just had to guess at his age, especially as William did not seem to know what it was himself. Also, considering Knowle Hospital was the county's lunatic institution, he may not have been in a fit mental state to tell the hospital's staff, even if he did know.

That seems to be one sorted! Thanks very much! Now for the others...  :P

Offline Ozrainez

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 August 16 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Toban
It would appear that my George and yours match. Hoping you can confirm this. My George was baptised at Newchurch IOW 1802 with parents George and "Anne". He lived in Otterbourne and had 12/13 children. One of his children Edward came to Australia about 1864 and my family line is from him. I was really excited to see your post as George's parentage has long been a brick wall. I look forward to hearing from you.
Kindest regards
Julie
Brisbane Qld Australia

Offline Toban

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 August 16 14:33 BST (UK) »
G'day Julie,

Will send you a PM!

Toban