Author Topic: Trewin family of Darlington/Clark Townships Ont.  (Read 3179 times)

Offline trewinb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trewin family of Darlington/Clark Townships Ont.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 May 16 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Lilybell
Unfortunately the wikitree site is my record of what I know (I am the manager of this Trewin genealogy). I am trying to fill in the gaps through baptism, burial and marriage records which seem more readily available for this period in the UK than in Canada. The only information seems to be the 1852 census and then it jumps to 1901 and 1911. Is there census information available on line for the decades in between?

Thanks,

Bruce

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 May 16 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Free online Canadian census records

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/pages/census.aspx

Pick the one you want from the grey bar on the left.

LindaGW found Thomas and Mary in 1861 ... she posted the link to the Library and Archives Canada site so you can see the image. 

You can find 1851/2, 1901 and 1911 censuses here for free too

http://automatedgenealogy.com/

RK

Offline trewinb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 May 16 21:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks,
I have used the automated site before but not the other.
Bruce

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 May 16 22:49 BST (UK) »
Hello again

Found a couple of things that you might want to check out if you haven't already
www.shebbearvillage.co.uk/biblechristians.pdf

There is some mention of Trewin in the article.

There is a book" A Corner For The Preacher" ( Bible Christians to Canada)
Emigration from Cornwall and Devon
Author Sherrell Brunton Leetooze

I wonder if there exists church records for Bible Christians in the Darlington area that might be able to help with death records. Just a thought.

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline trewinb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 06:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lilybel,

I have one of the articles, the Shebear Bible Christians pdf. It is quite interesting. The Bible Christians were absorbed by the Methodists although many members became Baptists, so records became scattered. The Bible Christian Chapel in Darlington is closed, even Darlington doesn't exist anymore. There is a committee charged with looking after all of the old cemeteries but I believe most of the monuments have already gone. I have tried links on the new Townships so called 'Heritage' webpage but there is very little actually recorded on the early history and settlers. I have always been interested in a place called Newpark in the northern edge of the area because it was the name of our house in Cornwall.

Offline Slemon-BishopS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 05:05 BST (UK) »
Hello, I was born Susan Bishop & my mother was a Slemon, her father Leo Rex Slemon (known as Rex), born 1903 in Ottawa, his father Edward Trewin Slemon, 3rd of 4 sons of: William Slemon (son of Richard Sleeman) and Joanna nee Trewin. Thank you for confirming that ancestry of Joanna (Trewin) Slemon; I thought I had it but was not sure. I've been on Ancestry.ca about a year; I have found the 1861, 1871, and 1881 censuses for the Slemon's, but it was spelt "Slimon" in 1861, Slemen in 1871, & settled to Slemon in 1881. I mention this because there was a William Trewin age 13 living with them in 1861 (? A cousin of Joanna?, I thought possibly an orphan). There was A dentist, born a few years earlier than my grandfather "Dr. Garnet Trewin", we called him uncle, but probably a cousin of my grandfather. That connection, & the identity of young William on the census are my dilemmas.  Your search for Trewins may be also hampered by the census-takers' spelling, handwriting, and transcription of such, being an unusual name, I have a marriage record where Trewin was taken for "Lewin", so try that.

Offline Slemon-BishopS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 05:54 BST (UK) »
The records prior to 1867 were poor because there were neither Federal or Provincial Gov't's before 1867, being a colony & not a country yet.  No actual list of those disembarking from ships though by c1907, detailed records.

Offline trewinb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 07:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Slemon-BishopS
Fortunately the parish records in Cornwall, unlike most other counties, have been freely available for some years now. It was relatively easy to track down Joanna's marriage and other family member's movements around Cornwall through the census and parish records. The original family home, Newpark, is still there in Week Saint Mary. My wife and I have visited the current owners a couple of times. The house is in a beautiful country setting between the villages of Whitstone and Week Saint Mary. It is a shame that burial records were not maintained in Canada in the 19th century as the elder Thomas Trewin and his wife Mary seem to just disappear. I have even read through all of the local newspapers hoping for a mention.

Offline Slemon-BishopS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello, again. When looking for different cemetery records in the Bowmanville area, I found that Thomas Trewin & his wife Ann Kinsman are buried in "Bowmanville Cemetery Section B", with Thomas Trewin Died May 8, 1896, age 74, and Ann Kinsman died May 19, 1898, age 69.  As far as I know, this cemetery still exists. I have not been to it yet. I am looking for Slemons, but none until 20th century can I find. However, I found a photograph of these Trewins' stone, and the side of the same stone is a Joseph James Trewin, 1864-1923, and wife Mary Fobbes 1863-1903, and these must be your family, Gr-uncle & wife, I figure. Could the elder Thomas Trewin be at same site, at an unreadable stone?