Author Topic: Trewin family of Darlington/Clark Townships Ont.  (Read 3167 times)

Offline trewinb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trewin family of Darlington/Clark Townships Ont.
« on: Wednesday 25 May 16 09:28 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the burial records, or any other records for that matter, for Thomas and Mary (nee Brimacombe) Trewin, who emigrated from Week Saint Mary between 1841 and 1850 with the Bible Christians. As far as I know the entire extended family went with them including my great-great grandfather Thomas and his wife Ann(nee Kinsman). I have information on Ann and young Thomas, but cannot find any references to where their parents ended up. Thomas (the elder) was baptised in Whitstone, Cornwall in 28 Oct 1792, not far from the family house, Newpark, in neighbouring Week Saint Mary. His trade was given as 'cordswainer'. They may have been members of the Bible Christian Chapel in Whitstone. In the 1841 census Mary's father, John Brimacombe, was still living with them. He may have died i Cornwall or stayed behind. Eventually all of the married children arrived in the Bowmanville area including daughters Ann, Elizabeth and Joanna (the Broads, Slemons and Rundles).

Offline LindaGW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Trewin family of Darlington/Clark Townships Ont.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 May 16 15:28 BST (UK) »
The 1851/52 Census has Thomas "Truwin" age 62 and Mary, age 52, born in England, religion Bible Christian, living in Darlington.  Living with them is a William Truwin, age 3.
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census52/SplitView.jsp?id=2666
The 1861 Census shows Thomas and Mary Trewin (ages 69 and 59 respectively,) Bible Christian, living in Darlington.
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/1861/jpg/4391544_00563.jpg

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 May 16 18:54 BST (UK) »
I have found a burial listing for Mary Jane Trewin buried at Hampton Bible Christian Cementry Darlington Township Durham County.DOD 01/04/1873 . Could this be your Mary ?

Cheers
Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 May 16 22:53 BST (UK) »
Trewin's are scattered around Darlington but I don't know if they are all connected.  There are some in Bethesda, Bowmanville and Mount Vernon.  The problem with the Bible Christians is that they drifted afield after they arrived in Durham like so many of these lesser known affiliations.  My Maternal GGG Grandfather Jared Tyler was the Minister for a few years in Darlington but after that became a ???? in Christ Minister and finally the Episcopalian Minister before he died in 1856.

If you google "Trewin" in Find a Grave you should see the ones you seek.  Also the Durham County Branch of the OGS has many more Cemeteries that have been surveyed and photographed and can probably supply you with everything you need.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline trewinb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 May 16 07:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Linda, Lilybell and Don,

The census reports are definitely right for their ages, but I have never heard of William before. As he does not appear in the subsequent census he may have died as an infant. Incidentally, the Broads which appear in both the 1851 and the 1861 census, adjacent to Thomas and Mary, are their daughter Anne and son-in-law William.

I have never heard of a middle name of Jane for our Mary but that doesn't mean it isn't her. Is there any further information? (dates or age or wife of?) Using the search engine I have also found a Thomas Trewin in the Bowmanville cemetery, but without a burial record or inscription information there is no way of identifying whether it is him or his son Thomas. As I know the younger Thomas was buried without his wife, it is likely to be him. Mary is in a different cemetary, which doesn't sound right. Are there no burial records for Ontario? They probably passed away in the 1860's. T least with the census records we can say 'after 1861' but it would be nice to have proper dates.
I have seen the spelling of 'Truwin' before on a land map of Darlington.

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 May 16 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Findagrave has a Thomas Trewin... husband of Ann Kinsman... in the Bowmanville Cemetery

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=trewin&GSiman=1&GScid=2130678&GRid=132985979&

I don't see another Thomas Trewin in the Bowmanville Cemetery on the Findagrave site. 

RK

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 May 16 18:31 BST (UK) »
Durham Surname index shows several Trewin burials, including Mary Jane (the one Lilybell found).  Only the death date is given, so no idea how old she was.

http://www.durhamgen.com/Durham%20Surname%20Index.pdf

Lots of Trewins in the Cartwright Union Cemetery, but none that look to be your Thomas.  Cordwainer is shoemaker, so the census records that LindaGW found look to be your family.  Your Thomas and Mary most likely died after 1861. 

RK

Offline trewinb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 May 16 21:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Runkitty,
Thomas in the Bowmanville cemetery was his son. His wife Ann (nee Kinsman) outlived him but spent the rest of her life in St. Stevens, the insane asylum in Toronto.
Odd that there are no records of the elder Thomas's death or burial.
Bruce

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 May 16 03:05 BST (UK) »

Hello is the following a website that you are connected to www.wikitree.com/genealogy/Trewin

It looks like both Ann Trewin age 37 Bowmanville and William Trewin age 17 were both patients at the Toronto Insane  Assylim.

Still have not found where Thomas and Mary (the elders) are buried or dates of death. The above website indicates both died at Bowmanville.

Nothing found for either of them past the 1861 Canadian census.So maybe that is a good timeline to use in searching for a death record.

Cheers
Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland