Author Topic: The Eagle pub in Cholsey  (Read 1256 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Eagle pub in Cholsey
« on: Wednesday 25 May 16 11:36 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find out a bit more about the Eagle pub in Cholsey and whether it ever had any connection with the Eltham family. I know Alfred Eltham, his widow Elizabeth and afterwards their son Heber were licensees of the (Morning) Star and another son Hungerford Eltham was licensee of the Railway Hotel (later renamed the (new) Brentford Tailor), but my brother seemed to think there was a family connection with the Eagle too. I think it was at the junction of Ilges and Honey Lanes. The 1939 only comes up with Isabel (Heber's wife) at the Star and Hungerford, Florence (wife), Florence (daughter) and their son (blanked out but died some years ago) at the Railway.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Eagle pub in Cholsey
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 May 16 08:22 BST (UK) »

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Eagle pub in Cholsey
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 08:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I remember the pub and its location from when I was a child. It was on the same road where my father's first cousin (Alf) lived. He was the son of Hungerford and Heber's older brother. But I only remember Alf living in a fairly new (at the time) bungalow and not being a pub landlord. There is no information on the closed pubs website as to any landlords of the Eagle. If my family had a connection it would be during WW11 and just after. I only know of the family connection to the Morning Star and the Railway Hotel.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott