Author Topic: Unassisted Immigrant passenger lists NSW  (Read 2619 times)

Offline melmaree

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Unassisted Immigrant passenger lists NSW
« on: Thursday 26 May 16 04:06 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me what one of the columns means on the NSW unassisted passenger lists. The columns are :Seamans name, Station, age and Of what nation.

What does the second column mean? Station? I can't read what is written in the column to have any idea what this column is exactly for

Thanks
Mel

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Unassisted Immigrant passenger lists NSW
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 May 16 06:01 BST (UK) »
Until someone familiar with NSW passenger lists comes along, I am going to guess that 'station' might be occupation or 'calling'.  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 May 16 06:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Many of the New South Wales "Passenger Lists" also include the Crew.    And when the Crew are noted, so too is their "Station" on that voyage.    For example, "1st Mate" or "Fireman" or "Cook" or "A.B."

Free to Search websites associated with the NSW State Archives.
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/documents/pastkeys/UAIntro3.pdf
and
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/indexes-to-immigration-and-shipping-records/index-to-unassisted-immigrants
and
http://marinersandships.com.au/

NSW State Records has a current partnership with several commercial websites, including Ancestry and Find My Past. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 May 16 06:30 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to the passenger and crew list of the Rose of Sharon, to Sydney in April 1855.   I chose this list at random knowing it would have the headings that our OP is mentioning.

http://marinersandships.com.au/1855/04/media/049ros.gif   You can find it on the mariners website that I noted in my earlier post. 

This supports Ruskie's suggestion re 'calling'  :)

JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 May 16 08:04 BST (UK) »
I knew you would know the answer to this one JM. Glad to know I was on the right track.  :)

Offline melmaree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 May 16 10:50 BST (UK) »
Great, thank you for that. I have figured out what it says now, it is F tindel.
Which when I goggled I think is first tindel. Tindel being a boatswains mate, whatever this may be? Must be some type of sailors assistant/helper or something I think.

Mel.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 May 16 01:06 BST (UK) »
I think the word would be TINDAL.  :) and I think it would be a senior position in the crew.   The crew list was not usually alphabetical, but rather by rank.   I would expect  the F Tindal station to be towards the beginning of the list of stations. 

https://www.mun.ca/mha/mlc/seafarers/lascars/

The term “Lascar” is not in use today, but as a period term it identified men who were engaged at ports in India under the special terms of a running Agreement. The Lascar Agreement replaced the standard foreign-going Agreement (Eng 1) for seafarers of Indian, African and Middle-Eastern origin. Its intention was that men on voyages between ports in the Indian Ocean and ports in the UK or near-continental Europe would return to Bombay (Mumbai) or Calcutta (Kolkata) or another Asian port where they could again be recruited as shipboard labour. The terms to which they agreed differentiated them from European seafarers, often working aboard the same vessels.

and

Native “bosses” known as serangs and tindals, took the place of bo’sns (boatswains) in organizing Lascar teams for shipboard work and in-port labour.

Lascar crews frequented the ports in the South Seas colonies too.  :)

JM

Offline melmaree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 May 16 02:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM, you are a wealth of information.

Would you think a British Indian would take on this sort of job? My gggrandfather was British Indian, born in India we believe. so just trying to ascertain if this is him on the passenger list.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 May 16 02:56 BST (UK) »
Do you have other documentation to suggest he was crew?   

Have you searched the mariners website to see if same name is there on other voyages (same or other ships)? 

It would be unusual for a first time crew member to be given the responsible position, but what was his occupation once he settled in NSW, was it similar to the crew position (perhaps suggesting he had been crew on other voyages, trained up etc .... As a Tindal, he was holding down a career position, leading a crew).     

Perhaps you could consider sharing the name of the ship, the date of arrival and your ancestor's name?  :)

JM