Author Topic: Mary Anne Siggs nee Whiffing b 1783  (Read 2820 times)

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Anne Siggs nee Whiffing b 1783
« on: Friday 27 May 16 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm trying to find the date of death for my 4 x gr grandmother, Mary Anne Siggs (nee Whiffing). Mary Anne was born about 1783, (maybe Middlesex?) daughter of Cratchrode Whiffing and Elizabeth Rossiter. She married James Whiffing Siggs on 28 March 1803 at St Dunstans Church, London. I've tried Ancestry, Find My Past, free BMD, familysearch.org. Can anyone help?

cheers
Jill

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Anne Siggs nee Whiffing b 1783
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 May 16 09:13 BST (UK) »
What is the latest record you have for her? Baptism of children, census, etc?
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 May 16 10:15 BST (UK) »
I have her Pallott's Marriage details 1803, St Dunstans in the West; details from Select Marriages (FHL Film Number 547369); Marriage Bans. Unfortunately I don't have an exact date for her birth.  Children are Mary Ann Siggs b 1805, James Cratcherode Siggs b 1806-1826, Charles Siggs 1808 - 1855, John Whiffing Siggs, 1811 - 1828. The children seem to have all been born in Averley, Essex. Can't find her on any census either. Her husband was made bankrupt in 1812.

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 May 16 10:32 BST (UK) »
What record puts her as daughter of Cratchrode and Elizabeth?

Ignore me - thought you were looking for date of birth!

If there's a link to Essex, then there's a high chance of not being available on the usual online sites - SEAX would be the place to go (costs)
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 May 16 10:40 BST (UK) »
James Whiffen Siggs was buried in Poplar in 1821 could she have remarried?

They married 29th March 1803 by licence, both could write the witnesses were John Ramplin and Giles Hanwell the later appearing as a witness on another  marriage so could be attached to the church

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 May 16 10:59 BST (UK) »
Ha ha StevieSteve.  ;D  Actually I have a copy of Cratchrode's Will who mentions Mary Ann's children but I am having trouble finding Mary Ann's name which may mean she died prior to her father in 1823. I may also have  missed her name because when I had tried to read this previously, I thought she WAS mentioned.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 May 16 11:09 BST (UK) »
Well Mary was still alive in 1819 as she is mentioned in the Will her mother Lydia wrote that year (when she was named beneficiary in her own write of a trust her mother had set up) which was proven in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury in 1823 by her husband Cratchrode.  I can't see Cratchrode's Will anywhere.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 May 16 11:15 BST (UK) »
Jolee I've looked for another marriage but can't find one.

Smudwhisk, Lydia is her step mother who died prior to Cratchrode, both in 1823. Here is Cratchrode's site for his will - http://interactive.ancestry.com.au/5111/40611_310401-00346/299760?backurl=http://person.ancestry.com.au/tree/13680942/person/1533655654/facts/citation/147699417358/edit/record .  I found mention of Mary Ann in the 7th line (I thought it was there somewhere!).

So at least we know she was alive until 1823.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 May 16 11:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jilly, I couldn't pick up that Will on the UK site even with the use of numerous "*" for letters. :-\

I suspect Siggs has been mistranscribed by them if the truth be known so she could have remarried or been buried as a widow.  Mind you I have unfortunately a number of missing burials in that part of London over that period so it may just be missing.  Not sure if that's just down to missing records, records that have been missed in the digitisation process (although many of the parishes I'd already been through microfilm copies of the registers) or simply the parish clerk didn't write up all the entries in the burial registers. :-X
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day