Author Topic: Mary Anne Siggs nee Whiffing b 1783  (Read 2831 times)

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Anne Siggs nee Whiffing b 1783
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 May 16 11:32 BST (UK) »
You could be right Smudwhisk . . . might have to put this one in the 'too hard basket' along with other  missing ancestors.  ;D  Thanks everyone for your help.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 May 16 11:33 BST (UK) »
Did Mary Ann have a daughter of the same name who married Edward Goslin at Battersea on 11 May 1824?  The marriage says Mary Ann the daughter was of Limehouse and a minor, permission being granted by her mother Mary Ann Siggs, widow, which would mean Mary Ann was still alive and had not remarried the year after her father's death.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 May 16 11:43 BST (UK) »
Well she was still alive in 1827 and living in Woodford, Essex.

Oxford Journal Sat 15 September 1827 pg3

"At Woodford, Essex, James C Siggs, aged 21, late brewer at Ratcliffe, eldest son of Mrs Siggs of Woodford"

You may need to view the Woodford PRs which are view on http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/ by subscription (various prices) as she may well be buried there possibly.

Edit - I see James was buried at Poplar along with his younger brother John in 1828.  You could try browsing the Poplar burials after that date to see if Ancestry have missed or mis-transcribed her.  You would have thought that if her husband two sons had been buried there, its possible she would have been taken back there too assuming she didn't remarry after 1827.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 May 16 12:02 BST (UK) »
I believe her daughter, Mary Ann, may have married Joseph Lee in 1831 when she was 26. Mother's name was listed as Mary Ann. There was no mention of Mary Ann (mother) in 1841 census.
I found the marriage to Edward Goslin - rather interesting.

Well done on finding her at Woodford! It's bedtime 'down under' so I'll take this up tomorrow.

Thanks so much. Amazing and powerful stuff.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 May 16 12:51 BST (UK) »
Marriage licence for Joseph Lee and Mary Ann Siggs in 1831 says both Joseph and Mary Ann were widowed.  Licence was for the marriage to be solemized at Upminster.  Its possible I suppose that could be Mary Ann the mother.  You could do with seeing if the marriage was indeed in Upminster and if there is any similarity with the signatures.

There is a Joseph Lee born 1776 in Upminster on the 1841 Census but he's on his own.  Unfortunately, of course, there is no marital status to see if he was a widower.  He doesn't seem to appear on 1851 on a quick look.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 May 16 12:53 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann Siggs who married Joseph Lee is Mary Ann Whiffing and she died before 1841.

There is a PCC Will of Joseph Lee of Upminster 1849 (incorrectly indexed by Ancestry as Upminster, Sussex ::)).  Its quite long but he does mention the son in law of his late wife Mary Ann, James Abraham Richmond and his late wife Elizabeth and her (Mary Ann's) son Charles Matthew Siggs. ;D  I could post you a link but it would be to the UK site.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 May 16 12:56 BST (UK) »
There is a burial in Poplar All Saints 21 May 1839 Mary Ann Lee of Hornchurch aged 57 years.

That could well be her, although you would probably need the death certificate to be certain.  Hornchurch is a neigbouring parish to Upminster.

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 28 May 16 04:08 BST (UK) »
Well done Smudwhisk. By all reckoning I think you've solved it (you have also taught me a few different ways to go around things).

I found the will of Joseph Lee (that is a day's reading in itself), found evidence of James Whiffing Siggs death, found where Mary Ann Lee was buried so am very happy.  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers Jilly

Offline Kmsiggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 18 May 18 23:05 BST (UK) »
I think I have the Whiffings back to 1694. I did all this some years ago so some of it may need double checking.
Siggs of Suffolk, Cambridge, Essex, Chelsea and Fulham. Whiffing/Whiffen of Suffolk. Wise of North East Hampshire (Fleet, Church Crookham area)