Author Topic: Crawford Allen  (Read 5269 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crawford Allen
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 May 16 18:11 BST (UK) »
From the Caledonian Mercury, Edinburgh on May 24, 1855:

At Caramana, county Galway Ireland, on the 9th current, the wife of Crawford Allen, a son.

Crawford Allen Snr of Canamara died at the age of 79 on 14 April 1898 at his residence, 55 Mount Pleasant Square East, Dublin.

See also https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FTDK-Q4S and https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KZ58-J5Q

Monica

Well done Monica I would say that would be his birth then  :)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 May 16 18:21 BST (UK) »
Two possible records for a Crawford Allen 18 July 1887 Adelaide/Sydney/Melbourne birth year of 1855 occupation labourer
Another one same birth year occupation farmer 15 August 1887
Rosie

Just read the other post that he arrived 1875 so ignore these 2  :-[

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 May 16 18:34 BST (UK) »
NSW Police Gazette Crawford Allen b1856 Residence 12 February 1919 Sydney
Missing friends Crawford Allen age 63 years inquiry of the instance of Sarah Cooper .Currawang House Via Goulburn
Rosie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 29 May 16 20:16 BST (UK) »
This must be the manifest entry referred to, http://immigration.mooseroots.com/l/4510511/Crawford-Allen

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 29 May 16 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Monica, Rosie all those who have replied in length to JillAnd's original post.
I have been helping a relative with this research as she is new to it.
And of course I can't stop looking, looking also, for her  :)

Quote from a post of yours - "From the Caledonian Mercury, Edinburgh on May 24, 1855:

At Caramana, county Galway Ireland, on the 9th current, the wife of Crawford Allen, a son."

This is exciting as it's the very first time I have seen any mention of a son to Crawford Allen and Jessie nee Adams - not that she's mentioned.

Is it possible to see that newspaper report...?

I also haven't located any documentation on the birth of a possible 4th sister Eliza although I think it's likely from a Scottish census record I have seen.

I/we now have a lot of information on this family - it has been the connecting of the son Crawford born c1853/55 that has had us stumped.

So, once again, it was great to see the birth of a son to Crawford Allen's wife in 1855 that you mentioned.

I have now confirmed that Crawford Allen age 22 Gentleman, departed Galway on the "Loch Eck" 30 December 1874 and arrived Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 14 April 1875.

The "various gaol records" noted by people as far as I can tell relate to just 3 separate offences.
1885 forging and uttering (explainable when you know the whole story), 1899 assault (and with good reason when you know the background) and 1914 igniting flammable material (nothing known of this offence).

By the way, there is documented proof that these offences relate to "our" Crawford Allen.

If you are looking at my post on the Kilconnell board re Jane m. William Adams Purves and her sister Jessie m. Thomas George Kerans - heywood has confirmed for me that the sisters were both married on the same day in the Kilconnell church, Go. Galway, Ireland.

Hope to hear if there is a way to see the article in the Caledonian Mercury May 24 1855  :)

Barb in Oz
Researching:
BEST, BRAME, KNIGHT, LEWIS, McSHEEHY, O'NEIL, SCHUETZE & WILKE

http://www.kirchneryoungtreeoflife.bndon.com
Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 30 May 16 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Barb

Unfortunately, the birth entry I transcribed is no more than I showed. It showed in the 'Birth, Marriages and Deaths' section of the newspaper. These are normally simple notice entries.

I think something that you and Jillian could consider, and mentioned by Rosie above, is to follow up on the will & testament entries in 1897 and 1898, for Jessie and husband Crawford. Hopefully there is a mention of Crawford Jnr there. Not sure how you can get to view/order these, but sure someone here on RC can advice further.

From your research, was Crawford Jnr a bit of a black sheep of the family? Just curious, you mention that you are certain that the gaol records do relate to Crawford Jnr. What was there in the records to let you confirm? There are shipping manifest details for a Crawford born c. 1855, a labourer isn't there.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 30 May 16 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hello again MonicaL
Re the double Marriage of the Allen daughters - just today I managed to find Irish newspaper entries detailing the festivities of the 13 June 1872 in Kilconnell, which was wonderful.

Yes it would be great to see the actual WILLS.
We have the Probate details (attached) and we know that Alice's married name is BACKHOUSE, not JACKHOUSE as shown in the details.

Any advice on availability would be greatly appreciated.

Re your "black sheep" question - um er - looks a bit that way - but unless we find out why he left and travelled to Oz we'll never know!  Pity he hadn't rated a mention in the newspaper article of the two girls' wedding in 1872.

Barb
Researching:
BEST, BRAME, KNIGHT, LEWIS, McSHEEHY, O'NEIL, SCHUETZE & WILKE

http://www.kirchneryoungtreeoflife.bndon.com
Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 30 May 16 12:18 BST (UK) »
I think something that you and Jillian could consider, and mentioned by Rosie above, is to follow up on the will & testament entries in 1897 and 1898, for Jessie and husband Crawford. Hopefully there is a mention of Crawford Jnr there. Not sure how you can get to view/order these, but sure someone here on RC can advice further.

Unfortunately, pre-1900 Irish Wills do not survive. For Northern Ireland offices (Armagh, Belfast, Londonderry) the Will books (copies of Wills) do survive and are available at www.proni.gov.uk. If Will books for Dublin exist they would probably need to looked up there.
Crawford Allen d.1898-
   http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014910/005014910_00271.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 30 May 16 12:23 BST (UK) »
Apologies if this has already been posted-

Dundee Courier, 20 June 1849: Births- At Caramara, County Galway, on the 11th inst., the wife of Crawford Allen, Esq., of a daughter.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!