Author Topic: Abstract of Title  (Read 1778 times)

Offline MarkyP

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Abstract of Title
« on: Friday 27 May 16 18:31 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help or point me in the direction of someone who understands title deeds/wills of the late eighteenth/early nineteenth century? I have a transcribed Abstract of Title for a local landowner which traces the properties and land from the death of my relative in 1747 to what looks like it, either being sold or handed over, to the local land owner in 1824. I don't know enough about the process to fully understand what actually happened to the land. I would love to be able to have someone look at who could explain the process. I am happy to pay if anyone knows of an expert in this field. I could also attach the transcribed copy if any one is interested in looking at it?

Cheers, Mark.
Jerome - Hampshire (including IOW)
Parsons - Surrey, Somerset and Devon

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Abstract of Title
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 May 16 06:38 BST (UK) »
Abstract of Title is a history of the property it is a summary of the grant and all later conveyances and any encumbrances which affect it. It should also be certified the abstract is complete and accurate.

There is an excellent description (including an example) of Abstract of Title in the Nottingham University Manuscript and Special Collections website at

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hp6/

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 May 16 06:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark,
If you start a thread with the document attached in the Handwriting and Deciphering Board or even the Common Room, someone can have a look at it, and explain it all.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline MarkyP

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 May 16 09:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the explanation Guy, and the link. I think I understand the principle, but not the process. I'm not sure quite sure if the property concerned was surrendered or sold. I'll post this in the common room with the transcription attached. Thanks for the suggestion.
Jerome - Hampshire (including IOW)
Parsons - Surrey, Somerset and Devon