Author Topic: dakin sileby  (Read 3890 times)

Offline David Neil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
dakin sileby
« on: Friday 27 May 16 23:29 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find details of my great great grandmothers parents marriage.  They were John and Ann Dakin, and both born in Sileby, Leicestershire. Married before 1835. John was born about 1805, his employment was 'lace dealer'.  They moved to Devon a few years after marriage. Children were called:Catherine, Mary Ann (my ancestor) and Eliza (born in South Molten, Devon).  Any information about them would be really helpful.  Thank you.
Perinton (somerset & Swansea)  Dakin (Sileby Leics & Devon) Thomas, Lewis, Scully, Morgan (Llangyfelach) Jenkins (Caeo) Davies, Williams, Roberts, James, Gabriel, Rowland (Froncysyllte).

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: dakin sileby
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 May 16 00:21 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.  :)
Was John a widower when he married Ann? And where were the older children born/baptised?
The reason I ask is I can't see a marriage for a John Dakin to an Ann on FreeReg, but there is a marriage for a John Dakin and a Sarah Barker in Sileby, 15 Feb 1825. John's occupation was farmer.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 May 16 00:51 BST (UK) »

Hi David

The only marriage between a John DAKIN and a Hannah/Ann/Anne/Annie etc was in Derbyshire as follows...

Derbyshire Church of England Parish Registers
1538 - 1910
West Hallam 27th Dec 1830
John DAKIN
Hannah HOBSON

Will see if I can find out anything more about this event for you.

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 May 16 01:02 BST (UK) »

Not sure if these fit in the timeline for your known children of John and Ann but just in case...

Derbyshire Church of England Parish Registers
1538 - 1910

Julia daughter of John and Hannah DAKIN 22nd Mar 1832 West Hallam

Eliza daughter of John and Hannah DAKIN 12 Jan 1834 Mickleover

William son of John and Hannah DAKIN 8 Nov 1835 West Hallam

Herbert son of John and Hannah DAKIN 18 Feb 1838 Mickleover

You mention that John was a Lace Dealer, and I guess that meant he would travel around a bit so it's not impossible that his children were baptised in different Parishes over the years.  Since I cannot view the original copies of these baptism I cannot tell what the father's occupation was.

Cheers
Karenlee

Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline David Neil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 May 16 08:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the swift replies.  I hadn't thought of the possibility that John Dakin was a widower when he married Ann. Their first daughter Catherine was born in Sileby in 1834, when he was nearly 30. They lived in Devon and Somerset later on in life, and John died in Swansea in 1891. My great grandfather Frank Edward Perinton was 11 when the family moved from Somerset to Swansea. His mother was Mary Ann (nee Dakin).
Perinton (somerset & Swansea)  Dakin (Sileby Leics & Devon) Thomas, Lewis, Scully, Morgan (Llangyfelach) Jenkins (Caeo) Davies, Williams, Roberts, James, Gabriel, Rowland (Froncysyllte).

Offline David Neil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 May 16 09:23 BST (UK) »
It's possible that John and Ann Dakin were married in Leicester.  John had a business address there.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 May 16 10:47 BST (UK) »
1861 Census has 2 John Dakins both born c 1805/6 Sileby, Leics
Yours with Wife Ann is visiting the Smiths in South Molton, Devon, Occp Lace Maker
The other with Wife Hannah is in Sileby, Occp Farmer of 60 Acres.

1841 Census your John is a Flour Seller; 1851 a Grocer!

1841;
John Dakin, 35
Ann Dakin, 30
Catherine Dakin, 7
Mary Dakin, 5
Eliza Dakin, 4
South Molton, Devon
Only Eliza is born in County

1851;
John Dakin, 46
Ann Dakin, 40
Catherine Dakin, 16
Eliza Dakin, 14

1861;
John Smith, 59
Betsy Smith, 57
Samuel Trant Smith, 20
Eliza E T Smith, 17
John Dakin, 55
Ann Dakin, 52

Unfortunately as all the Children are born before Civil Reg a Childs Birth Cert will be no help in establishing Anns maiden name.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 May 16 11:41 BST (UK) »
Trying to the Childrenc Christenings with on-line resources is not easy;

I was trying to establish if all the Girls Mother was a Ann.

As we know sometimes we have found Baptisms and the Mother on Census is not the Childrens Mother. IE thee Father has remarried before the 1841 Census.

FreeREG has a John DAYKIN/Anne HEMSLEY Marriage 26 Sep 1836, St Marys, Sileby
John is a Farmer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline David Neil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 May 16 12:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you Trish for the results of your research.  I am now more convinced that John and Ann were married outside Sileby.  My aim was to find out Ann's maiden name, and take both families back another generation.  There is a story in the family that one of our ancestors was one of the first to import Brussels  lace to Britain. So it would have been interesting if John or Ann's father was a lace dealer.