Author Topic: Thomas Heaney and Ann Thomson  (Read 8004 times)

Offline Irish Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Heaney and Ann Thomson
« on: Saturday 28 May 16 03:00 BST (UK) »
Trying to find any information on my Grandmothers paternal side in Londonderry (I believe).  Her Gandparents were born in Colleraine area.  John Heaney was born February, 1827. He married Margaet Ann Boyd in New York.  John immigrated to USA 1838 to 1840s.  John Heaney had a younger brother named Daniel Thomson Heaney  Dabiel was born in 1842 in Ireland..  Daniel came to the US in 1858 or 1859.  Margaret Ann Boyds parents were Thomas Boyd and Leticia Boyd. They came to New York in 1839 from Northern Ireland. 

There is an Ann Heaney whose parents were Robert Heaney and Jane Wallace.  I think Robert Heaney and Thomas Heaney may have been brothers.

Any information is so appreciated<. Irish Lynn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Heaney and Ann Thomson
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 June 16 13:40 BST (UK) »
Is there any chance that your John Heaney (born Feb.1827 in Coleraine area) died 1863 in New York? If so, I can fill in some blanks on the family back in Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Irish Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 June 16 23:25 BST (UK) »
Yes!  John Heaney who died February, 1863 was my Great Great Grand father!  He was married to Margaret Ann Boyd!  Their son was my Great Grand father, Thomas Boyd Heaney. 

I think there was a brother (Daniel Heaney) who was living with them in 1860 and 1870 census.  According to Daniels marriage records, his father was Thomas Heaney and Ann Thompson. 

I know they were all Presbyterians and The Boyds/John Heaney/ Andrew Ramsay and John Hogg bought a burial put in NYC together.  John Hoggs wife was Ann Heaney.  I thought she might be a sister, but her parents names were Robert Heaney and Jane Wallace.  Maybe a cousin?  Would SO APPRECIATE any information on John Heaney and his family/where they are from, etc.  Irish Lynn

Offline Irish Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 June 16 23:34 BST (UK) »
More on John Heaney (that I know).

He was born February 25, 1867 and died in NYC on February 11, 1863.  I don't know for sure he was from Coleraine area, but other Hogg relatives were from that area, so I was guessing. 

Margaret Ann Boyd was born October 21, 1830 in Londonderry area too. 

Daniel Heaney was born in 1843 in Londonderry area too I believe and died in NYC in 1898.

Ann Heaney Hogg was born in 1820 and her parents were Robert Heaney and Jane.  I got a copy of her death certificate.

Offline Irish Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 June 16 23:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry for typing error.  John Heaney born February 25, 1827.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 June 16 08:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, we seem to be talking about the same John Heaney. Late last night I came across an online tree that had Thomas & Ann Heaney buried somewhere in Galway which is totally incorrect- they are buried in Aghadowey.

The Heaneys were from Cullycapple townland in Aghadowey Parish- you'll see that it marches Mullaghinch townland:
https://www.townlands.ie/derry/cullycapple/

There were also Heneys (no a) in Cullycapple who are NOT related but due to spelling variations the 2 families can get confused. Also, I've see some bad transcriptions which give the surname as Henry which is incorrect.

Starting with John's obituary in the Coleraine Chronicle (28 Feb.1863): At his residence, West 37th Street, near 10th Avenue, New York, on the 10th inst., John, eldest son of Mr. Thomas Heaney, Cullycapple, Aghadowey, aged 35 years.

Outline family tree (your details which I didn't have previously in red)

___ Heaney (d.before 1833), Cullycapple
1. William Heaney (c1803-1868), teacher, m. Sarah (c1799-1893). Children- Nancy (c1831-1911), Mary Ann (c1836-1925), child, William (c1842-1920), Thomas (c1843-1923), Hannah (c1848-1928). Only William & Hannah married and the only (two) surviving descendants are elderly & childless.
2. Ann Heaney (c1815-1902), unmarried.
3. Thomas Heaney (c1801-1874), farmer, m.Annie/Ann Thomson (c1805-1896). There were Thomsons in Cullycapple but she is much more likely to have been one of the Glasgort family
     1. John Heaney (1827-1863 N.Y.), eldest son
     2. William? Heaney
     3. Thomas Heaney (c1837-1919), 3rd son, m.(1879) Catherine McQuigg. Children- Anna Bella (1880-1905), Thomas James (1882-1949). Neither child had family so this line has died out.
     4. daughter ? Ann Heaney m. John Hogg
     5. Daniel Thomson Heaney (1842), N.Y.
     6. Robert Alexander Heaney (1845-1856), youngest son
     7.   Jane Heaney (d.7 Jan.1871 Cullycapple) m. James Aughey- child: James.

Robert Heaney (c1785-1871), farmer, Cullycapple, m. Jane Wallace (c1788-5 Feb.1867 Cullycapple). There were Wallaces in Cullycapple & in Mullahinch
1. Daniel Heaney, farmer, m.(1846) Nancy Hull
2. Isabella Heaney (c1823-1900) m.(1866) Joseph Hunter- no family
3. Ann Heaney m. ___
4. Peggy Heaney, youngest daughter, m.(1852) Thomas Boyd- family

Also in Cullycapple-
Daniel Heaney, farmer, m. Mary (c1796-1862)
1. Mary Jane Heaney m.(1848) John Moon
2. Margaret Heaney m.(1855) John Doherty
3. Sarah Anne Heaney, youngest daughter, m.(1863) Robert Mayben

I lived in Cullycapple before I married and can expand more on all of the above if you wish. I'll also go see Hannah Heaney's grandson to see if he can add to my own notes.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Irish Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 June 16 12:42 BST (UK) »
THis is such wonderful news!  My grandmother was an only child and both of parents had died by the time she was 18.  I have had a hard time finding anything out. 

Do you think the Robert Heaney that married Jane Wallace might be Thomas Heaney Seniors brother?  That would make Anne Heaney Hogg and John Heaney cousins.  I thought there moght be a connection when I saw Ann Hoggs maiden name on her headstone.  The families also lived close to each other in New York. 

Also I thought there might be a connection for Jane Wallace married to Robert Heaney.  I have a great x3 grandmother Leticia Wallace that was married to Thomas Boyd.  Their daughter Margaret Ann Boyd married John Heaney in 1850 in New York City.  Thought Leticia Wallace and Jane Wallace could be sisters Leticia Boyd and Thomas Boyd came over to New York around 1840 with 4 children in 1840. 

Thank you so much for any other John Heaney family information. It mean a lot! I may plan a trip to visit Northern Ireland next year.  I have joined the Ulster Foundation for news also. 

Offline Irish Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 June 16 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi again, is there anyway I could get a copy of the John Heaney Obituary in the Coleraine Chronicle?

Many Thanks!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 June 16 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   A death announcement from the Londonderry Sentinel of 5 February 1867.
"February 5 at her residence Cullycapple, Aghadowey, Jane, wife of Mr. Robert Heaney, aged 79 years"

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim