Author Topic: Thomas Heaney and Ann Thomson  (Read 7949 times)

Offline Irish Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Heaney and Ann Thomson
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 June 16 18:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks!  I think this "might" be the Jane Wallace Heaney that is the mother of Ann Heaney Hogg that is buried in the same pot in Brooklyn, NY as John Heaney and his wife Margaret Ann Boyd. 
I was at the cemetary a year ago and went to the site of the Boyds and John Heaney.  I have the have the papers that show the purchase of the burial plot in 1855.  After John Heaney dies, Thomas B. Heany inherited his portion. 

I never knew anything about John Hogg and his wife Ann Hogg until I went to the cemetary and saw her maiden name.  I wrote for her death certificate and it has Robert Heaney and Jane Wallace as her parents.  I thought that might be John Heaneys parents, but Daniel T. Heaney (who lived with John Heaney) has Thomas and Ann as his parents.  The families lived close by each other according to the New York census, so I think Ann Heaney Hogg might be a relation. 

Also Leticia Wallace was married to Thomas Boyd and their daughter married John Heaney.  The Jane Wallace and Leticia Wallace connection may be sisters?   

Another family side is Thomas Hogg from Caheny who married Martha Brown from Bovaugh area.  I do not know if John Hogg is related to Thomas Hogg.  They are not buried near each other.  Also, Thomas Hogg and wife Martha Brown Hogg came to the USA with 8 or 9 children in 848.  They had 3 or 4 more born in New York City, one of which is my Great Grandmother Sarah Hoag.  She married Thomas Boyd Heaney!  I am trying to put more pieces together. 

Many Thanks for your information.  It has opened more doors for me!

Do you know how long the Heaneys were in the Aghadewey area? 

Offline Irish Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 June 16 18:43 BST (UK) »
I think the Thomas Boyd family (who had Maragaret Ann Boyd as a daughter) came to New York in 1839 to 1840.  Thomas Boyd Senior was a Mason/stone cutter.  Thomas Boyd and wife Leticia were born in 1785 and 1786.  This is closer in time to Jane Wallace Heaneys birth, so I think she might be a sister to Leticia. 

John Heaney came in 1846 I think (according to the NY 1855 census).

Ann Heaney Hogg and her husband John Hogg came to New York in about 1842 timeframe. 

Thomas Hogg and Martha Brown Hogg came in 1848. 

Offline Irish Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 June 16 19:00 BST (UK) »
You seem to have so much good information on the Heaneys.  I never had anyone to ask before.  I have one paternal cousin and my brother and sister are younger, but I am the family historian who loves the geneaologygroup portion! 

I have one old picture from my great great grandmother - Margaret Boyd Heaney (married John) and that of Sarah Hogg Heaney (my great grandmother) who married Thomas Boyd Heaney.  These must of come from my grandmothers things (Ethel Boyd Heaney Miller). 

Is there anywhere I could look for pictures of Heaney relatives?  Distant cousins that are still in Northern Ireland/Coleraine/Aghadowey area? 

Sorry for so many questions!  This is like finding gold to me!!!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 June 16 23:14 BST (UK) »
Have found a bundle of old letters and notes that I'd forgotten about which has enabled me to construct a far better family tree than the outline I posted earlier but I'm still typing the details out.

I have at least one photo of Sarah H. Heaney (taken with her cousin Minnie Hunter) and will see if there are any others here or elsewhere. Meanwhile, here's one of William Graham Boyd (grandson of Peggy (Heaney) Boyd) who died in WWI- http://www.instgreatwar.com/page5.htm

The Heaneys have been in Cullycapple since before 1831 (and most likely well before that).

Will have a chat with Hannah Heaney's grandson to see if he can clarify some of my notes. Two descendants of the Dunadry Heaneys were in touch with me years ago and I'll try to see if there's any way to contact them- one of them certainly has lots of stories passed down their branch.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Irish Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 June 16 03:25 BST (UK) »
Many, Many Thanks!  How is Sarah Heaney related to John Heaney (son of Thomas and Ann Heaney)? 

Also Minnie Boyd?  What is the connection? 

Can't wait to see all the information you send.  A great full relative!

Offline Irish Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 June 16 16:28 BST (UK) »
If you are updating the Thomas/John Heaney family, I have some information from New York. 
John Heaneys son was Thomas Boyd Heaney.  He was born in 1854 and dies in 1895.  His only child was my grandmother , Ethel Boyd Heaney Miller.  She was born in 1885 and died in 1972.  Her son (my father) was Herbert Raymoond Miller.

John Heaney also had a daughter, Jane Boyd Heaney.  Born 1852 and died in 1878.  No children and did not marry.

Daniel Thomson Heaney born in 1842 died in New York in 1898.  He married Mary Ann Langan in 1870.  They had one daughter Mary Ann Heaney in 1875.  She married a man named William Large. Daniel was living with John Heaney (brother) in 1860 census and also with the family up until his marriage in 1870. 

Ann Heaney Hogg (daughter of Roobert Heaney and Jane Wallace Heaney) came with her husband John Hogg to New York in October 1844.  Ann was born in 1820 and died in 1885, buried in same plot area as John Heaney and wife Margaret Boyd Heaney.  Ann Heaney Hogg had sones, John, Samuel, Robert Alexander, Samuel, daughter Isabella.  Thomas Boyd Heaney (John Heaneys son), bought another plot in the same cemetary and was buried with his wife Sarah Hoog Heaney and her sister Matilda Hogg. 

John Heaneys wife was Margaret Ann Boyd.  She is buried with her husband John Heaney and her parents, Thoomas Boyd and Leticiia Wallace Boyd and her brother (Thomas Boyd Jr.) and his family and Thomas Hoog and Ann Heaney Hogg and family in same plot.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 June 16 23:06 BST (UK) »
Between us we'll get lots of local families sorted out  ;)

I'm still typing up details on the Heaneys in Cullycapple and was there tonight checking that I had the right details as to where they lived, etc. So far there are 12 pages of notes and I'm a long way from finished!

You ancestor, Thomas Heaney (Daniel Thomson & John's father) lived at Hill Cottage in Cullycapple. The house was knocked down a few years ago to build a new house but tonight I got loan of an old(ish) picture of the old house to scan so that you can see what it looked like. There is also a picture of Hannah Heaney with her husband (I can borrow a copy if it's not here in our house) and I do have one of Robert Heaney & Jane Wallace's great-grandson in his NYPD uniform.
Thomas Heaney had a shop and bakery at Hill House and I know where the old oven is so will try to photograph it in daylight.

It is now clear that far more of the connection moved to Manhattan than I had previously thought and the details online (not available a few years ago) have made it much easier to make connections and figure things out once I had your information so very many thanks for all that you've shared so far. Will be in touch soon  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Irish Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 June 16 23:20 BST (UK) »
Wow, this is fantastic!  I am so thankful you have a connection to this area! 

Do we know what the connection between Robert Heaney and Thomas Heaney was - Brothers maybe?  I noted that Jane Heaney Hogg was Roberts daughter and not Thomas's, but she must have had a connection to John Heaney as they are buried in the same large plot.

It's like a puzzle and more pievces are falling into place.  I can try and find more out on Daniel Heaneys daughter as I am a member of ancestry.  Also, could try and trace more on the Ann Heaney Hogg children.  I look forward to the pictures and your messages!  Many Thanks!!  I will plan a trip for next year in the Summer.  It is a milestone birthday for me. 

Offline Irish Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 03:05 BST (UK) »
John Heaneys son (Thomas B0yd Heaney) married Sarah Hogg.  Sarah was one of 11 or 12 children of Thomas Hogg from  Caheny and Martha Brown Hogg.  Martha was from Boveaugh and the daughter of Robert Brown.  Sarah was one of their 3 younger children that were born in NYCity,  The rest of the children were born in Ireland and parents came to New York in June of 1848. 

I wonder if the John Hogg who married Ann Heaney Hogg was related to Thomas Hogg and  Martha Brown Hogg.  How far is Bovaugh and Caheny from  Cullycapple?

More questions!!