Author Topic: Looking for Francis WARREN, a Devon farmer in MISSOURI from 1850  (Read 894 times)

Offline Janelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Looking for Francis WARREN, a Devon farmer in MISSOURI from 1850
« on: Saturday 28 May 16 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hello America,

Does anyone descend from Francis Warren b 1816 and his wife Mary Ann Payne and their 4 sons, Walter b 1840, Edwin b 1842, Francis b 1844 and Albert b 1847?

Francis senior is a 5th great uncle to me.

I have their marriage certificate -
1 May 1839, by licence, at Heavitree, Devon
Francis Warren, 25, yeoman, of Cutcombe Somersetshire, father = Simon Warren, yeoman
Mary Ann Payne 23 spinster of Whipton, Heavitree, father = John Payne, yeoman

Thomas Baker, his brother in law and my 4th ggf, was a witness.

Marriage notice in Western Times newspaper 8 June 1839 ... "At Heavitree, Mr. Francis Warren, third son of Mr. Warren, of Cutcombe, Somerset, to Mary Ann, eldest daughter of Mrs. Payne, Whipton, Heavitree."

I can see this family in 1841 England census at Legans? farm, Clyst St Lawrence, Devon.
Francis  Warren  25  farmer  born in County (Devon)
Mary Ann  Warren  25  born in County (Devon)
Walter  Warren  1  born in County (Devon)

They emigrate to America, arriving New York 31 May 1844 on the ship "the Virginian" (familysearch)

Francis Warren  26  farmer  (born) England
Mrs Warren  25 
Walter Warren  3
Edward Warren  1 ... Free BDM has Edwin  :)

I think they go to Ohio first with or to other Warren cousins, for 1844 until say 1848, and they quickly move on to Missouri in time for the 1850 US census ...

at Clay township, Lafayette County, Missouri, United States

Francis Warren  38  farmer  born England
Mary Ann Warren  36  born England
Walter Warren  11  born England
Edwin Warren  9  born England
Francis Warren  7  born Ohio
Albert Warren  4  born Ohio

So, summing up ... what I would like to know is :

Where did the family go after 1850 because I can't find them in Missouri?

Did the go back to Ohio, or on to California, or perish in the Civil War, which hit Missouri very hard?

I don't have anything else for Francis senior.  :(

I have not found his baptism, and do not want any search made for it, thankyou, because I am satisfied with the information I already have/do not have on that score.  ;) :D

The sister closest in age, Charlotte Elliott, gives Dunkeswell, Devon as her birthplace in one census and their older sisters, including my 4th ggm Jane Baker, say nearby Upottery. The latter suits other records I have for the period.  :)

2 other siblings, Elizabeth Hawkins and Simon Warren, and their families, also emigrate to America in mid 1840's and they live close together, in Buchanan County, but are not in Missouri c 1850, I found Simon in Ohio, I don't see any of Francis's family with them in later census. I can say that Francis was still alive when his father, Simon senior, wrote his will in 1862.

Today when I look at Francis junior on my Anc* tree there are 10 !! hints for a Francis b Ohio c 1844 or 1845, including Civil War enlistment 1862 aged 18, Civil War pension record, census in California and later in Washington state and death 9 Aug 1921, Colfax, Washington (with father ass Francis mother Mary, possible marriage 1875 to Elizabeth A. ... and an interesting tree ... Hardman aka Dairyville/Oregon Ghost Town ... that has all of these hints, haha  :)

WOW - and currently we are only UK subscribed at Anc*. I can see some of these hints on familysearch freeview. Walter, Edwin and Albert don't get any Anc* auto hints, poor chaps.

So are these guys belonging to anyone? Any information posted here of interest to Warren hunters,  I shall be only tooo please to share.

Any help with Uncle Francis or his sons will be much appreciated.

Salute,

Janelle

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Francis WARREN, a Devon farmer in MISSOURI from 1850
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 June 16 20:52 BST (UK) »
I was wondering about

A Francis Warren 1850 census

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MCPS-S9V

An Albert Warren 1850 census

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MCPS-3J7

they are both in different ares of Ashtabula but both with a family whose surname is Lintern. Charles Lintern married in Somerset.....Charity Gane 1844
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 June 16 21:07 BST (UK) »
Uriah Harding marriage in Somerset to Sarah Harding 1836 and looks like he has married again looking at the age of the youngest I would say.
Willsy

Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire

Offline Janelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 12:33 BST (UK) »
I was wondering about

A Francis Warren 1850 census

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MCPS-S9V

An Albert Warren 1850 census

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MCPS-3J7

they are both in different ares of Ashtabula but both with a family whose surname is Lintern. Charles Lintern married in Somerset.....Charity Gane 1844

Thankyou Willsy,  :-*

This is very interesting, if these children are the Ohio born sons of Francis and Mary Ann, because Francis's brother Simon and wife Elizabeth were also in Orwell for 1850 census.  ;D
https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=75&englishSubcountryName=Ohio&query=%2Bsurname%3Awarren~%20%2Bbirth_place%3Aohio~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1840-1849~%20%2Bresidence_place%3Aorwell~%20%2Brecord_country%3A%22United%20States%22%20%2Brecord_subcountry%3A%22United%20States%2COhio%22

(Simon gets transcribed as "Lemon", and is unsearchable, can find link only by Emma or Charlotte)  ;D ;D

Orwell and Windsor townships are side by side, in Ohio. And other Warrens settle nearby in the 1860's to 1890's.  ;D

I wonder who the Linterns were? Something to work with.

Thankyou for looking, and I shall take a US sub of Ancestry, some time soon.  ;D

And you are a Warren hunter too? Looking at your signature line ... No Northants in my lot  :)
Mine are strictly Devon, and with a dance into Somerset before daughtering out in England, having sent almost everyone to America or Australia.

Salute,

Janelle

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 15:16 BST (UK) »
Mine didn't venture far...too busy working on canals!

Did spot a Thomas Lintern marriage 1770's if i remember right to an Amy Baker, might be worth a look :)
Willsy

Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire