Author Topic: Customs Officer query  (Read 672 times)

Offline kallie50

• RootsChat Member
  • ready for bed
    • View Profile
Customs Officer query
« on: Saturday 28 May 16 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm probably not in the correct area but I have been clutching at straws and googling which has led me here.
My 3 x great grandfather, Thomas Williams, was born in Weymouth, Dorset about 1791. He and his wife Mary (Russell) had eight children, all born in Weymouth except the youngest (William Henry b 1840 - my 2 x ggf) who was born in Hull.
1841 census shows the family living in Hull and occupation of Thomas is shown as Customs Boat.
1851 census shows Thomas still living in Hull with his second wife, Elizabeth, her two sons and his son William Henry - (first wife Mary died in 1847) - occupation of Thomas is shown as 1st class weighman in her majesty's customs.  I haven't been able to find marriage details for Thomas and Mary in the Dorset area and because Mary died before 1851 I'm not sure where she was actually born.  I was pretty much at a brick wall.  Then..........after about seven million google attempts  :o I found information relating to 'Retired Allowances for Superannuation' parliamentary papers.  It was under the heading COWES Isle of Wight and showed a Thomas Williams, Chief  Boatman in the preventing boat at St Ives - Treasury Letter, 25th February 1819 - received 32 pounds  - he had been in the service five years - the payment was for the loss of a hand, a consequence of the execution of his duty which was 'to board and rummage ships and to guard the coast against smugglers'.  I'm not sure if this is my 'Thomas Williams' - I have checked the Genuki coastguard site but he wasn't there.  I'm not sure where to go from here and I sincerely appreciate any help/tips/advice etc.  I'm in Australia so I'm not really sure about the distances and if it is feasable to think someone born in Dorset could go to Cowes and end up in Hull.  Sorry to ramble on......
Regards
Lynne
Northumberland:  Mather, Walton, Hogg, Pearson
Wiltshire, Hampshire, Berkshire: Noyes, Howard, Partridge

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Coast guard query
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 May 16 12:56 BST (UK) »
I'm in Australia so I'm not really sure about the distances and if it is feasable to think someone born in Dorset could go to Cowes and end up in Hull.  Sorry to ramble on......

Quite feasible I would think, especially if he was working for Customs. Weymouth to the Isle of Wight (Cowes) is really no distance. Hull is also a big port, so perhaps he was transferred there.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Customs Officer query
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 May 16 13:10 BST (UK) »
Customs officers were often moved around so they didn't get too friendly with the locals  ::)

The National Archives holds records.  See their research guide

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/coastguard-officers/

You can dowload records free of charge (very large files) to view at home.

Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 May 16 20:39 BST (UK) »
I think you need to be clear in your mind - was he a customs officer or was he a coastguard?  From what you say I think he was a customs officer.

Coastguard records can be downloaded from TNA, but I don't think records for customs officers can be downloaded in the same way.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kallie50

• RootsChat Member
  • ready for bed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 May 16 22:06 BST (UK) »
census records and his sons death certificate show he was a customs officer.  I was confused I thought from information I have read that customs and coastguard amalgamated in 1822. Sorry for the confusion

Regards
Lynne
Northumberland:  Mather, Walton, Hogg, Pearson
Wiltshire, Hampshire, Berkshire: Noyes, Howard, Partridge

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 20:48 BST (UK) »
Apologies, Lynne,

I omitted the link for the research guide for Customs officers:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/customs-officers/

Customs officers were generally responsible for ensuring that all taxes and duty was paid.  The coastguard were mainly responsible for preventing smuggling.  But with various develpments and mergers it can be very confusing for those trying to trace their ancestors  :-\

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk