Author Topic: Missing Deaths Travers Family  (Read 3515 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Deaths Travers Family
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 May 16 14:36 BST (UK) »
Yes - I do agree about certificates - brilliant when you can find them!

I have had no luck finding a marriage yet for James Travers and Mary - nor the baptism of their son, Joseph. Think I've found 3 of their other 9 children though - including Ellen. (Not a great success rate so far - but battling on).

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 May 16 15:09 BST (UK) »
FTR

Joseph TRAVERS and family on 1901 census - LINK

Struck out children with grandparent in 1901 – LINK

Joseph TRAVERS  m Kate KAVANAGH Jul 23 1899 Oldcastle Co. Meath
Children:
Michael Jun 09 1900
Rose Sep 28 1902

Joseph TRAVERS  m Catherine CONNELL Mar 08 1886 Oldcastle Co. Meath
Catherine TRAVERS died Apr 13 1898 21 days after the birth of Kate of Puerperal fever with phlebitis
Children:
Patrick Mar 17 1887
James Nov 16 1888
Mary Oct 18 1891
Eliza Aug 4 18934
Kate Mar 24 1898

Presumably the three siblings found are:
Ellen bap. Jun 17 1866 (m TRAVERS) - LINK to church register
Patrick bap. May 15 1868 (mother McGLYNN)
James bap. Jul 10 1870 (mother GLYNN)

If all the family were baptised in Collinstown they should be in the registers - they are not indexed but I have added the direct link for Ellen's baptism above.  You will see that the handwriting is a challenge and other entries may have been mistranscribed.
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0918

Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 May 16 15:29 BST (UK) »
Myluck - thank you for going to all this trouble. Yes those are the baptisms I could find for James and Mary's children.

I do have a lot of this info --- the little 3 year old grandchild, Catherine (often known as Kate)Travers - with James, Mary and aunt Ellen in 1901 is my husband's grandmother.

It is a sad story -- her mother (Catherine Connell) died 3 weeks after baby Catherine was born (miraculously I have both the certificates for the birth of the baby AND the death of the mother.)

Joseph remarried to Kate Kavanagh 20 years younger than him -- baby Catherine and one of her brothers went to live with Joseph's parents and sister, Ellen in Westmeath.

Joseph died in 1910 aged 53 - so presumably he is the one child, his mother, Mary mentions as having died  by 1911.

Baby Kate marries, 5 months pregnant in 1917.
Her husband joins Army in 1923 when her youngest child is 8 months old.
(Obtained 43 pages of Army records for him from Dublin Military Archives - for free! They don't even have facilities for making donations).
He gets discharged from Army, straight into an Asylum!
Catherine (Kate) (b 1898) dies aged only 43 of heart problems -- (shown as Kathleen on the Civil Reg Index!)
She had a really tough time of it.
It's quite a tragic story. I am trying to write it up - for my husband and his siblings. However these bits I cannot find - I'll have to 'wing' it!

Thank you again for your trouble.
Places of interest;

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 May 16 15:53 BST (UK) »
They were tragic and poignant times really

I wonder are these two more siblings? in correct area with logical names! very loose  ;)
LINK to 1901 census for Thomas 40 and sister Catherine 44 at #10 in Aghalasty and Ankersland (Fore East, Westmeath)

As Joseph's parents and children are at #3

Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 May 16 16:25 BST (UK) »
Great find. The ages are right.

They are still unmarried and together in 1911. I suspect they are other children of James and Mary.

Thank you very much, super sleuth!
Places of interest;

Offline Robert Stedall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 May 17 09:01 BST (UK) »
This should probably be on a different thread

A group of Downing Genealogists are researching the family of John Downing b. abt 1571 at Weasenham (probably) in Norfolk and died at Ballysaggart near Lismore in 1629. He appears to have arrived in Ireland in c. 1600 and he served at the battle of Kinsale. His elder children (at least) were born in Suffolk before he left for Ireland and the mother's name was Mary. After the end of hostilities he acquired Ballymanoch a property near Cork and later acquired Ballysaggart and other estates.  I have found a reference at https://archive.org/stream/journalofcorkhisv21896cork#page/140/mode/2up/search/Downing, which says that he married a Miss Travers. Having looked up the Travers family on Stirnet, I see that they moved from Lancashire to Cork, so it is likely that they met in Ireland and she is a second wife. John Downing had a 3rd son Lt. John Downing, who married Catherine Browne daughter of Sir Valentine Browne of Mullahiffe, Co. Cork. It is just possible that Miss Travers is his first wife, although this would conflict with the reference above. Are you able to shed any light on this? 

Robert Stedall 

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 May 17 09:57 BST (UK) »
 Notes on Travers marriages, c.1756 -- 1844.
Format:    Manuscript
Subjects:    Travers, family of

Dublin: National Library of Ireland, Genealogical Office: Ms.144, pp.66-7
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.