Author Topic: S.B. Peck of Surrey  (Read 5051 times)

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
S.B. Peck of Surrey
« on: Saturday 28 May 16 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to trace the identity of an S.B. Peck of Surrey who bought two Bentley cars from Jack Barclay, Mayfair at the end of 1920, early 1930's. Both cars were sold by Peck in 1934 and I believe he/she then bought and raced Lagonda cars. Obviously a wealthy person, but I can't find anything in BMD indexes to suggest who they may have been.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Chris
Ward, Darby, Drake, Willmott, Langley

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: S.B. Peck of Surrey
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 May 16 22:23 BST (UK) »
Might that be Sydney (or Sidney) Britton Peek ?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 May 16 23:45 BST (UK) »
There are a couple of google references to S B Peck with exactly the information you mention.

The only information I could find was a outgoing 1937 Passenger list fo Mr S B Peck, Mrs Peck and 1 yr old Master Peck going to South Africa from Norfolk Lodge, The Warren, Kingswood. Looking at the image the surname could be Peek

Based on Shaun's post there is a good chance my find is the same man as his and then there are lots of entries on passenger lists and the electoral registors as Peek
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 May 16 23:54 BST (UK) »
Wealthy could be considered an understatement.

He died in 1962, leaving an estate valued at £513,596 3s
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 May 16 01:31 BST (UK) »
Might that be Sydney (or Sidney) Britton Peek ?

YES.
Spent hours (quite happily) this morning and came to the same conclusion.

ShaunJ-just to know-did you end up at Box Hill Road/Headley at some point. :) ;)

Best,
Maureen :)

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 May 16 07:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

That's great information.....many thanks for everyone's help.  Sidney Britton Peek seems to be the proper name for this chap.  I'm surprised my other sources had his wrong surname but it's likely a transcription error that crept in over the years.  Sidney Britton Peek certainly fits the profile for a Bentley owner of the 1920/30's era.

I've just seen a reference to Sidney Britton Peek on a posting in another forum which talks about a motor launch called "Dashaway," built by Powles in Wroxham in 1934 and sold to "Sydney Britton Peek, gentleman" in Kingswood, Surrey.

I've also seen two expensive limited edition volumes of "British Sports and Sportsmen", dated 1908, advertised by a rare book dealer which have the ex libris stamp of Sydney Britton Peek gilt to front boards.

One of the passenger list records gives Sidney Peek's date of birth as 28th August 1893.

I've seen his probate calendar record which gives his address as the Manor Lodge, Manor Avenue, Deal in Kent.  I've also found a Freemason's membership record which shows he was initiated into the St Martin's lodge on Guernsey on 19th October 1920.

He's mentioned on a death notice in the London Gazette.  His father, George Gervase Horace Peek died 14th September 1947 in Weybridge, Surrey leaving an estate worth £355,273.  The executors were noted as Anne Peek (widow), Sidney Britton Peek and William John Peek (Sidney's sibling?).

George Peek married an Annie Schlosser in 1930 in Paddington, but I assume this was his 2nd marriage.

From what I've been able to gather, George Peek may have been the son of Francis Charles Raymond Peek.  Francis Peek was born in 1859 in Guernsey, died 4th December 1908 in Ramsgate, Kent, and was the son of John Hannaford Peek and Martha Maria Spurr.  Francis Peek was also a member of the Freemasons and had been initiated into the Balfour Cockburn Lodge on 27th November 1900 at age 41 years.  The membership record shows his occupation as a retired seaman.  There is some evidence that the Guernsey Peeks may have been ship owners and this could have been the source of Sidney Britton Peek's wealth.....not yet had time to unravel this.

Regards,
Chris

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 May 16 09:14 BST (UK) »
ShaunJ-just to know-did you end up at Box Hill Road/Headley at some point

Not physically (but it is only a few miles from my home). I think it was newspaper references that connected "Mr & Mrs S B Peck" with Headley; then I checked the 1930 phone book and found Sydney Britton Peek listed at Fraser Heath, Box Hill Road, Headley.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 May 16 11:10 BST (UK) »
ShaunJ-just to know-did you end up at Box Hill Road/Headley at some point

Not physically (but it is only a few miles from my home). I think it was newspaper references that connected "Mr & Mrs S B Peck" with Headley; then I checked the 1930 phone book and found Sydney Britton Peek listed at Fraser Heath, Box Hill Road, Headley.

;D ;D ;D

Chap also seems to have had a few racehorses.

Maureen

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 May 16 11:24 BST (UK) »
I jumped the gun a bit by stating that George Gervase Horace Peek was Sidney Britton Peek's father.  It's correct that George Peek was the son of Francis Charles Raymond Peek but he wasn't born until 1899, birth registered in Elham, Kent.  Sidney Britton Peek was born 1893.

Francis and Alice Peek only appear to have had two children: George Gervase, and Patrick Charles who had been born 1898 in Brighton.  Patrick Charles died in Cape Town in 1944, although his place of residence at the time was Branksome Park in Dorset.  He left an estate worth £329,092.

The London Gazette carried a death notice on 23rd September 1947 for George Gervase Peek and the people listed as his personal representatives were his widow Annie Peek as well as Sidney Britton Peek and William John Peek.  It's therefore not clear to me yet what the family connection was of Sidney to George Gervase or William John.

There's also another Peek family member on the same probate calendar page as Patrick Charles Peek.  Gervase Footit Peek died 1943 on Guernsey.

http://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/Gervase_Foottit_Peek

Chris